Coin Help Please!! :)

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA
So next week I am going to an estate auction and there are quite a few gold coins in this auction but I am not sure what they are worth or how much to bid? Can anyone help with any info and what a "max" price would be if I want to get em and resell them for a bit of a profit (maybe keep a few too if the fiance' lets me) Below is what the auction company has listed:

Major gold & silver coin collection: (71) gold Krugerands (1977/78)
(21) gold 1/4 Krugerands
(20) 1/10 Krugerands
Vintage US $1, $2.50 & $5 gold coins (1911,1914,1926 all IH from what I can tell)
various other gold coins
20 100peso silver rounds, misc coins, etc.

Most of the coins appear from the photos to be in really good shape, possibly even non-circulated but I won't know for sure till I go and check em out. I am posting here because I know that T-net has the best of the best when it comes to this!!! Any help on this would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the main thing would be your ability to authenticate the coins. US gold has been and still is one of the most heavily counterfeited areas of numismatics, and with estate sales it is hard to know the provenance of the coins. If the Krugerands are genuine, just check the spot price of gold, they are bullion coins with little if any added numismatic value.

OP
OP
J

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA
l.cutler said:
I would think the main thing would be your ability to authenticate the coins. US gold has been and still is one of the most heavily counterfeited areas of numismatics, and with estate sales it is hard to know the provenance of the coins. If the Krugerands are genuine, just check the spot price of gold, they are bullion coins with little if any added numismatic value.

THANK YOU!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don't bid unless you are at least certain as to the authenticity of these items (as Cutler mentioned above).
Suggest you get your friendly local coin dealer to accompany you; buy his lunch in exchange for his expertise for an hour.

OP
OP
J

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA
Mackaydon said:
Don't bid unless you are at least certain as to the authenticity of these items (as Cutler mentioned above).
Suggest you get your friendly local coin dealer to accompany you; buy his lunch in exchange for his expertise for an hour.

Great advise! Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions