Is right now a good time to by silver coins?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This question comes up in my mind from time to time. When silver was 14/oz, I bought a bunch, but always had reservations about paying too much on some of the morgans and peace dollars. Then when silver was in the 20's, I was kicking myself for not buying more when it was cheaper. I was reluctant to buy the morgans and peace dollars when silver was in the 20's as I remembered when they used to sell for less. Now that silver is in the 30's, I kick myself for not buying the silver when it was in the 20's.

I figure if you can afford it, then don't hesitate. I believe silver will continue to rise and will flirt with 50/oz. I've resolved to forget about what used to sell at a certain price. I've gone back into buying mode .

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark up on coins may be less with such large melt value, I don't think silver prices will rise forever, especially with most silver being hold by hedge funds that can dump it all at any time

HH
-GC

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldencoin said:
Mark up on coins may be less with such large melt value, I don't think silver prices will rise forever, especially with most silver being hold by hedge funds that can dump it all at any time

I have a different opinion. Perhaps a different point of view due to some observations. IF you study the gray sheets that the dealers gauge their buying and selling prices you will notice that higher grade coin prices are increasing steadily (mark ups) over the past few months. Which is not directly based on silver price but to the higher volume of silver melting of the lower numesmatic value grades in the more desired key dates. I know this is a bit confusing. But I hope it makes a bit of sense.
Buy!

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
One of my banks has 3 eagles, not sure of the date,
2009 I think.
Tomorrow is payday and I will be buying all 3
for $36 and change each plus tax.
The head teller said they set the price when they get
them and never adjust it. I will be checking every
bank from now on to see if they sell the same way.

I bought every silver 1 ounce round they had a couple weeks
ago for $28.75 plus tax. I am in the camp that believes
silver will continue to rise. I say go for it if you can afford
them.

edit
sorry, I meant to post this in another thread, but will leave
it here ;D

Still kicking myself for not buying the 21 morgans and peace $s
a guy had at the local show in December for $25 each, I had
the cash but only bought 4. I think if I would have bought
them all he would have come down a buck or more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread