Dale Earnhardt 1 Pound Proof???? Save me folks

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-TROY-POUND-...&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=8267326966991803917

Got a guy wanting to sell some of these. Ive had them in my hand. They weigh 1 troy pound, they are the same dimensions as other troy pound silver coins that i know to be authentic. The problem? There is nothing on the coin indicating its metal content. Its clearly silver on the outside and the current bid on this coin would suggest either 1) It is indeed a troy pound of silver and slightly under valued or 2) There are a bunch of uninformed bidders about to make a mistake on a plated coin.

The question---Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these coins made by Gold Performance Mint? What is the metal make up? I appreciate some actual info as I have more guesses and opinions than I need already. Thanks so much folks.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 1/4 pound round at an auction the other night. It is plainly marked .999 fine silver. If these are real I would think they should be too. Have you seen both sides?

OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yes ive seen both sides. Ive weighed it. Ive measured it. The only thing I havent done is take a sound test since its in a case and have cut into it.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there two different but similar "coins"? I found The Hamilton Mint being the manufacturer but you say Gold Performance Mint. :dontknow:

Being that they aren't marked I'd steer clear. Those "coins" are all over the net but nobody, besides a seller, will make a statement as to metal content.

Here is the "COA" of one on ebay. No where on there does it list metal content either. In fact with the title of the collection, "Dale Earnhardt Silver Proof Collection" being the only place where the word silver is even used I'd be even more skeptical.

Attachments

• COA.JPG
    COA.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,577
OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yes hence my question here if anyone has first hand knowledge on the coin. I am already skeptical and realize the coa and coin says nothing about metal content. It looks like im going to be hacking into one to find out so I will finally know a person who knows this answer first hand...me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread