(2) 1910 Mexico Un Peso
(2) 1951 Mexico Cinco Pesos
1937 Australia One Crown
1886 Republica Mexicana (8 Reales?)
1867 Guatemala Un Peso
1949 New Zealand Crown
1894 Republica De Guatemala Un Peso
1966 Bahama Islands Two Dollars

I picked them up because they looked interesting and I was almost certain they contained silver :) I am trying to learn more about them. Any information or thoughts?!
I took pics of the obv. then rev. of coins:

Attachments

• phpSehdpfPM.jpg
    phpSehdpfPM.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 820
  • php8vt70JPM.jpg
    php8vt70JPM.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 819
  • phpp5BUvXPM.jpg
    phpp5BUvXPM.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 805
  • phpc78CK0PM.jpg
    phpc78CK0PM.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 799
  • phpvgJSDLPM.jpg
    phpvgJSDLPM.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 763
  • phpB3IJPdPM.jpg
    phpB3IJPdPM.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 803
OP
OP
MtnBluBrd

MtnBluBrd

Oct 12, 2010
ID - UT - TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
LaZoOro said:
Very nice selection!
Hey Thanks!

I have found that in total these coins contain over 7.25 oz. of Silver- I am excited because I bought the entire collection for less than $40! ;D
I do not know if there is a nuministic value to any of the coins over their silver content value.
Does anyone have any input on any of these coins?

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Hi, I don't mean to rain on your parade but some of the coins you purchased are heavily counterfeited. The 2 1910 "Caballito" Un Pesos, the 2 1951 Cinco Peso's, and the 8 Reale are all suspect but it's hard to tell from your pictures. The 1910 Un Peso's are struck in low relief so most of the authentic ones , even in good condition show wear. That's makes them an easy mark for counterfeiters. There are also fairly rare and only minted for 5 years so they are highly sought after. You can look for die cracks and doubling as indicators that they are not real. Harder to spot would be fuzzy details especially on the denticles. If they are real they are easily $40-50.00 each.
The Cinco Pesos are worth about $37.00 each in silver content. I hope I'm wrong but they look kind of suspect to me also. They only way to tell is to weigh them all. You can go to coinquest.com to get the info on what they should look like and weigh. If they are real you made an excellent score. Please let us know what you find. Good luck!!!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The one peso Caballito was the most beautiful coin minted by Mexico (though I think a Frenchman, C. Pillet, came up with the design). The coin weighs 27.073 grams and contains .9027 ounces of silver. 3.8M+ were minted in 1910.
This was Mexico's first commemorative coin commemorating the first 100 years of Independence. I hope it's real.
Don...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your '51 5-peso originally weighed 27.777 grams and contained .720 fine silver.
The image on the reverse is that of Higalgo.
The coin has a diameter of 40mm and a production of nearly 5M in 1951.

If the 1886 is an 8-reales the reverse legend (with the radiant Liberty cap) would read:
8R (Mint mark) (date) (assayer's initials) 10Ds 20 Gs.

OP
OP
MtnBluBrd

MtnBluBrd

Oct 12, 2010
ID - UT - TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hey thanks for the info and the specs. I was able to check them on a scale...
and yes, my parade is officially rained on :'(
I enjoy coins but I am new at them. I guess that now is as good a time as ever to learn that everything that sparkles isnt gold (or silver).
I was led to believe that they were real. Now I realize I need to know how to better distinguish for myself.
I learned alot with this one.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Don't beat yourself up too bad. For $40.00 you learned a good lesson. These copies are meant to deceive unsuspecting collectors and I would probably not be out of line by guessing even the most savvy collector may have a fake in their collection. You could have easily paid 4-5 times that amount for the coins pictured. I just received a counterfeit 1910 Caballito I purchased from Ebay. I was however taking a chance on a blurry picture and bad description to score a coin way under value. As soon as I opened the envelope I knew it was an obvious fake. It's been sent back for a refund so I'm only out a couple of bucks for return shipping. Fakes are everywhere so take the time to educate yourself and as a novice collector always buy from reputable sources.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Coins weighing over the standard are an immediate Red Flag; coins weighing under the standard can still be authentic; the difference may be due to natural wear, 'clipping' and etc. You may wish to check with your local coin or jewelry dealer for a determination of your coins' silver (or not).
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread