OMG!! I still cant believe it! Dream Score!!!

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
OMG!! I still can't believe it! Dream Score!!!

I met a guy today that had an ad about selling his collection on craigslist. For $600 I got:
5 American one ounce silver eagles
112 Silver washington quarters
2 Morgans
27 Walkers
3 Franklins
2 64 kennedies and 4 40%s
1 Peace dollar
1 silver Ike dollar
1 seated liberty quarter
6 standing liberty quarters
4 1980s silver one ounce commerative rounds
1 Mercury dime
and about 100 dollars worth of clad coinage. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OMG!! I still can't believe it! Dream Score!!!

Another stolen collection fenced successfully on Craigslist...happens everyday. :help:

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

awesome score!!!!! dream score is right!!!!! super dream score in fact!!! huge congrats! keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

OP
OP
ImpurestStewart

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other

I am 90% sure it wasn't stolen. The guy had a story for most every coin and where he got it. :tongue3: I am willing to trade if anyone is interested... I have always wanted a ten dollar eagle coin... I was going to post some of it on feebay to just get my investment back and keep the rest. :icon_scratch: I will let yall have first dibs though PM if interested!!

db23

Mar 18, 2011

ImpurestStewart said:
I am 90% sure it wasn't stolen. The guy had a story for most every coin and where he got it.
Ok, so seriously... He had a story for all of the coins, and you think he wouldn't know what they were worth? He just decided to collect silver coins and rounds one day but all of a sudden forgot what they were worth?

Unless the guy was 90 years old and has alzheimer's, they were stolen.

Now with that said, someone was going to get a great deal buying the stolen coins so it may as well have been you, right?

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quick calculation from Coinflation on the bullion value and total value of all the coins listed comes to $1,811.67.

And you paid $600 from a guy supposedly a "Coin Collector"....

And he sold you $100 in clad......

That statement/fact in and of itself is beyond belief... :laughing9:

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains

The seller could have gotten most of the coins for free over time and paid $4.00 for each once of silver depending on when he purchased them. The clad could have been bicentennial half's and quarters. If it's an older person/collection it's possible he was just out of touch with the current value. I not sure a thief would go through the trouble of placing a Craigslist ad when they could just walk into a pawn shop and get instant cash. It's a great deal never the less. Just say'in :wink:

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lets start with this ...

"That's part of the appeal of an online auction to thieves, retail experts say. Criminals can "e-fence" stolen goods with virtual anonymity and little risk of being tracked, compared with the face-to-face transaction of selling the merchandise to a pawn shop or from the back of a truck.

"It's throwing sand in the wind for us to try to investigate a case," Hummel said.

The seller-identity dilemma is one U.S. Rep. Bobby Scott aims to solve with proposed legislation known as the E-fencing Enforcement Act of 2008. The bill would require operators of online auction sites to keep and disclose the contact information of any "high volume" seller whose listed items match the description of stolen goods as identified in a police report.
—Carolyn Shapiro, "Thieves turn to online auction sites to move stolen goods," The Virginian-Pilot, August 26, 2008"

And this link...I could go on and on and on and on and on and on...

http://www.westlinntidings.com/news/story.php?story_id=119688465157959900

This is the digital age and criminals will be using the least expensive way to sell their stolen goods...

The old rule is...if something is too good to be true, it usually is... :read2:

OP
OP
ImpurestStewart

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Well do yall think I should turn it in? I still have his number and knows what he drives and Where he lives... Just saying.. He had a legit story to me. I don't deal with thieves(except pawn shops :laughing7:) He lives about an hour from me. He said he just got out of a divorce and had collected them earlier. MOST of the coins are still in littleton wrappers and he had the envelopes with his name and adderess on them. I really think this guy was legit. He brought the 2011 blue book and I bought them with those prices. I love the criticism but what would YOU have done?

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains

Randyman, I understand what the trends are when it comes to electronic crimes. I'm just saying that it's a leap to assume that the coins were stolen with no proof and based solely on pure conjecture. Why didn't the thief just rob him of his $600.00 and not give him the coins? ;D Many items are sold way below value everyday for various reasons. Just like the people that keep the "we buy gold" people in business this person may not have realized the actual value and just wanted/needed $600.00. It was a good deal and he took it. No harm done in my eyes. :icon_thumright:

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd have done the same thing that the OP did. If you find a solid roll of silver dollars while CRHing do you go back to the bank and pay for the silver? I don't think so. Congrats OP.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Awesome score!

One time while detecting a fellow asked me if I was looking for old coins. Told him yeah, sure was.

He produced some sandwhich bags full of Morgans and Peace dollars. He said he had a few thousand old silver coins his dad left when he died and the liquor store wouldn't take them any more for the beer he truly prized.

He was honest, a local in that area, and apparently uninformed by choice of habits. Fishing and drinking beer took precedence for him.

I told him he needed to take the time to go to a coin shop and sell them there at any price they offered, at the very least he'd get better than face value as the coins I saw were of very good condition.

Of course the old addage about advice was probably once again proven in that case but I felt morally obligated to at least inform him of the better option than straight-up face value exchange.

And I didn't have much cash on hand....

Congrats!

Teknowaffle

May 9, 2011

If he was getting divorced, he may have been trying to sell them for as little as possible so he didn't have to give his wife as much money. Wouldn't be the first time.

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP

Teknowaffle said:
If he was getting divorced, he may have been trying to sell them for as little as possible so he didn't have to give his wife as much money. Wouldn't be the first time.

Good point! :icon_thumright:

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I seen a similar add last week, I text back and forth but the coins the guy had were so-so. He found a box of coins in the attic of the house he bought and most were worthless non-US coins, and a 1 Peso gold coin. He had a few indian head pennys and maybe 5 silver coins. He was taking offers a told me someone offered him $25 and another guy $50. but I figured if it took about $75. and a half tank of gas to pic them up it wasn't such a great deal. The gold coin was so small it had very little melt value and no a huge coin value either.

So it does happen, and wit the ecomony bad and knowing a dealer would rape him on the deal I can see why he would sell it out right.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LarosnMullalyTresureHunte said:
"sounds too good too be true" ::) ::) good luck with your coins!

No luck needed. The coins are real. I bought the SAEs and some of the quarters. I'm quite happy and Austin is a great guy. Flawless transactions at a reasonable price.

Thanks again Austin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread