Mint Error??

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son came home with a double headed quarter, heads both sides, Same date. looked at it with an eye-loop and looks as real as can be but when I called a few coin places they told me it is a novelty, 2 coins made as one but I disagree. Anyone ever find one? Should I take to to someone that deals in numistics and have it looked at? Nothing about it makes me believe it was made by someone as a novelty.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a trick or magician coin. I got one dated 1992D on both side a couple of weeks ago from a coin counter reject slot. Over the past year I've also gotten a 2 headed nickel and several half dollars.

If you look very closely around the rim of both sides you will see a slight seam where the 2 parts have been placed together. The one I found is very well done and the seam is difficult to see. Also, try the drop test. When dropped on a flat surface they exhibit a flat dull sound instead of a ringing sound.

As I understand the process at the US Mint, the obverse and reverse dies used have different shapes to the base of the dies. They will only go into the press one way. This prevents them from producing 2 headed or 2 tailed coins.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Now I know why the people were so confident it was a novelty coin, sucks I thought it could have been rare, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread