U.S. Mint proof coins sets

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I presume these sets are the clad versions with the State quarters. 1999 is the one that holds the highest premium. $15 - $20 for each set would be average. I wouldn't break up the date run, but rather sell them as a sequential set. You will realize a higher price than letting someone cherry pick a specific date that they may be missing. Once the date set is broken, then you might get a $5 premium over face for each.

OP
OP
A

albertv

Jun 7, 2010
Yes, these are the clad sets with the state quarters. I guess from what you are saying , that they aren't even worth what the Mint sold them for anymore. Bummer. Oh well, I guess I'll keep them for the grandchildren :icon_thumright: Thanks. Al

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
albertv said:
Anyone have any idea how much these are worth? I have the sets from 2000-2008. All in original U.S. mint packaging...

Heh! One of my friends bought these years from HSN. He didn't know that the US Mint San Fran proof sets were made in both clad & silver. He thought all the San Fran proof coins were silver. Instead of getting what he thought was a GREAT deal, it turned-out to be a bad one for him. I remember when the cost of buying just the 1999-S Silver set was $400+. Not today! And don't even get me started on eBay crooks selling the clad 1999-S sets as silver...
:coffee2:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Arizona Bob said:
albertv said:
Anyone have any idea how much these are worth? I have the sets from 2000-2008. All in original U.S. mint packaging...

Heh! One of my friends bought these years from HSN. He didn't know that the US Mint San Fran proof sets were made in both clad & silver. He thought all the San Fran proof coins were silver. Instead of getting what he thought was a GREAT deal, it turned-out to be a bad one for him. I remember when the cost of buying just the 1999-S Silver set was $400+. Not today! And don't even get me started on eBay crooks selling the clad 1999-S sets as silver...

While the series was active so was the demand for others who missed the first year. Demand was higher than the supply. Now that the series has ended, there are those that are cleaning out the closets and realizing that the market is flooded. I remember just a couple of years ago of assembling rolls of proof state silver quarters at melt (then it was $14/oz).

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
Arizona Bob said:
albertv said:

While the series was active so was the demand for others who missed the first year. Demand was higher than the supply. Now that the series has ended, there are those that are cleaning out the closets and realizing that the market is flooded. I remember just a couple of years ago of assembling rolls of proof state silver quarters at melt (then it was $14/oz).

That was an awesome buy. I paid almost $150 for the 1999 Silver State Quarters to complete my set, PDPS, but it does look nice....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
FreedomUIC said:
Diver_Down said:
Arizona Bob said:
albertv said:

That was an awesome buy. I paid almost $150 for the 1999 Silver State Quarters to complete my set, PDPS, but it does look nice....

The rolls that I assembled are mixed date, but all silver. The common (2001 and later) would come up at auction and I would buy them up at melt (then 14/oz). I assembled a few rolls that way. The 1999 still cost me about the same what you paid to complete my set. I was doing the same with Prestige sets with the 90% silver dollar. I was picking them up for melt. Crack the case and sell the extras to offset my cost. Now, I have rolls of 90% silver dollars that ended up costing me below melt (14/oz)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread