Family Loses Coins Worth Millions

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903461104576458423819724978.html

Basic Skills - 7.6 million times 10 equals lots of money

Mistake - Turning it over to the Mint to be authenticated

Conclusion - US Government just made $76 million - There are roughly 312 million people in the US - I want my 24.3 cents and I want it now.

Enjoy your day and stay cool in this heat.
NJ

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they trusted the grubbermint ? what a buncha dummies -- how dumb can you be and still walk up right? --

lets see (10) 1933 $20 gold pieces all of which were supposed to be melted down by president FDR 's orders * so they would have been illegal to own at the time , thus illegal to leave the treasury vaults in any form whatsoever -- and the family hands them over to be "proven" that they are "real" illegally gotten 1933 $20 gold pieces worth 7.6 million each? --thank you very much for 76 million dollars says the "grubbermint'

morons.

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
Since the coins were stolen from the mint in the first place,
they are worth nothing unless the US government sells them.

Happens with old cars all the time, someone tries to sell a car,
only to find out it was stolen, sometimes 30 or 40 years ago.

:)

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WilliamBoyd said:
Since the coins were stolen from the mint in the first place
I am so ashamed of our Govt over this case. Stolen? Multitudes of people did not turn in their gold as they were supposed to. Simply looking at the stats of how many gold coins were minted and how many were melted shows that as fact... Then there is the statute of limitations, etc., not to mention that the family tried to be up front and sent them to the Govt to be authenticated.
Our Govt is simply an evil entity, and it makes me sick. Hell, even in this state, treasure found will still be split 50/50 with the State...

It makes me sick.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Silver Surfer said:
WilliamBoyd said:
Since the coins were stolen from the mint in the first place
I am so ashamed of our Govt over this case. Stolen? Multitudes of people did not turn in their gold as they were supposed to. Simply looking at the stats of how many gold coins were minted and how many were melted shows that as fact... Then there is the statute of limitations, etc., not to mention that the family tried to be up front and sent them to the Govt to be authenticated.
Our Govt is simply an evil entity, and it makes me sick. Hell, even in this state, treasure found will still be split 50/50 with the State...

It makes me sick.

Actually the coins in question were literally stolen from the mint.

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They would have been better off 'MELTING THEM DOWN'!! Heck, I would have turned in 1 for authentication and waited to see what happened first! Chances are the rest are going to be REAL too, wouldn't you think? ::) Once I knew they were keeping it, I would have melted those other suckers and turned them into 'Casting Bits'!!

Fatbat

Greenie
Jan 20, 2006
Costa del Sol, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
joeman said:
They would have been better off 'MELTING THEM DOWN'!! Heck, I would have turned in 1 for authentication and waited to see what happened first! Chances are the rest are going to be REAL too, wouldn't you think? ::) Once I knew they were keeping it, I would have melted those other suckers and turned them into 'Casting Bits'!!

You'd melt down coins worth 7.6 million each?!

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a few unauthorized US Coins that left the mint illegally like the 1856 Flying Eagle Cent and 1913 V Nickel but people are allowed to own them. These coins should not exist and should fall under the same decision made for the 1933 Double Eagles they just confiscated. I hope they appeal the decision and let the family to own the coin.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoinHELP! said:
There's a few unauthorized US Coins that left the mint illegally like the 1856 Flying Eagle Cent and 1913 V Nickel but people are allowed to own them. These coins should not exist and should fall under the same decision made for the 1933 Double Eagles they just confiscated. I hope they appeal the decision and let the family to own the coin.

The big difference is the people with those coins did not send them back to the mint... :wink:

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
CoinHELP! said:

The big difference is the people with those coins did not send them back to the mint... :wink:

You got that right. I would have went them to PCGS and did a walk-through grading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread