Possible error cent? Need the experts opinions!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While coin roll hunting last night, I came across a very odd 2001 penny. The obverse looks like it is missing a good portion of the copper plating around the edges of the penny. On the top of the obverse, over Lincolns head, you can even read the "In God We Trust" motto stamped into the zinc core, altough it is not very legible. The reverse of the penny looks normal, except for a very deep rim all the way around, much deeper than any other coin I have ever seen. Below are the best pics I could manage with my digital. What to you think, error?? Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Attachments

• 2001 Error Cent Obverse.JPG
    2001 Error Cent Obverse.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 250
  • 2001 Error Cent Reverse.JPG
    2001 Error Cent Reverse.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 256

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Is there any chance that it could have had an additional rim soldered on it? The area on the front looks to me like a solder job.
Just my 2 cents (pun intended) ;D
HH and good luck in figuring it out!
Bob

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, I didn't think to check diameter, but no, it doesn't look like it. It is actually just a little smaller circumference wise than a regular penny, so I don't think anything extra was added. Thanks!

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading up on error coins, is seems like a possible early stage obverse die cap. Any other opinions?? Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread