Good sites to help identify medieval coins?

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have quite a pile of improperly cleaned but beautiful medieval coins... castles, animals, kings... coolest coins of my collection!

Problem is that I have no idea what any of them are. Really would love to know ages, locations, etc.

And yes, I'm 100% sure all are authentic. Won't say why so you don't kill me!

Here's a small selection of them :)

DSC00102.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Suggestion: Post close up pics (front and back) of the coin with the most distinct images along with something to scale the coin (or tell us its diameter). Then post another, then another, etc.
Don......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:
After the discovery of America, copper maravedís, along with silver reales, were the first coins struck in Spain for the purpose of circulation in the New World colonies. These coins, minted with a special design for specific use of the Americas, were first coined in Seville in 1505 for shipment to the colonial island of Hispaniola the following year, thus giving these coins their distinction as the first coins for the New World. By 1531 these coins were still being minted, by now in both Seville and Burgos, and subsequent shipments have been confirmed to other areas such as: Mexico, Panama and Puerto Rico. These maravedís were used as Spanish Colonial change for smaller transactions and after mints were later established in the New World, in both Mexico (ordered in 1535, production began in 1536) and Santo Domingo (ordered in 1536, production began in 1542), coins of this type were also minted there.
Source: Wiki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread