Error Dime ???????

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 100_3294.JPG
    100_3294.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 479
  • 100_3293.JPG
    100_3293.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 447
  • 100_3290.JPG
    100_3290.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 459

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
I would say thats an error, but im not sure what sort of premium it would carry. I've never seen that before, its pretty interesting.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd wager it is post-mint damage. Is the squarish area on the reverse raised above or lowered into the field?
John in ID

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an error. Looks like your typical glue on the coin event.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies !! John - it is raised up or laid over. Thanks .
Enamel - I not sure about glue,as the layer is metal , did you mean someone glued a piece of metal on to it ??

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
So I guess it is possible for a piece of thin metal to have gotten blown into the coin press and then it was stamped onto the planchet. I just don't recall ever having seen an error of that sort. Can you tell whether the piece of metal is magnetic? Like Enamel says, in the pic, it looks like clear glue as if somebody glued the dime to something.
John in ID

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John, It is definitly not glue it is metal,I just took my pocket knife to the edge of the patch, it scratched but did not chip,definitly metal. But I dont for one minute think a piece of metal blew into the press :) But am sure going to assume it is post mint as you said. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. PPC

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not be too hasty on thinking it is post mint. If it is metal, then it looks like it was stuck to the planchet before the strike. Otherwise the metal would have covered the strike if it was post mint damage, instead of showing the impression of the strike in the metal. I would see if I could send in a picture to the CONECA website and see if they could give you any more information.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Defiantly not PMD as stated above. It looks like it could be a lamination error where the top layer has come off around the edges. Does it look like there is metal missing around the center square? Are the areas around the edges a different color? Like copper? Does it look like the center square is added metal. It's hard to judge depht from the pictures. The image is definitely struck evenly across the reverse.

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wayne1956 said:
I would not be too hasty on thinking it is post mint. If it is metal, then it looks like it was stuck to the planchet before the strike. Otherwise the metal would have covered the strike if it was post mint damage, instead of showing the impression of the strike in the metal. I would see if I could send in a picture to the CONECA website and see if they could give you any more information.
Thank you for the website info,will go check it out. Definitely it is metal,not glue !

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rooter said:
Defiantly not PMD as stated above. It looks like it could be a lamination error where the top layer has come off around the edges. Does it look like there is metal missing around the center square? Are the areas around the edges a different color? Like copper? Does it look like the center square is added metal. It's hard to judge depht from the pictures. The image is definitely struck evenly across the reverse.
Hi, I was originaly thinking it was some type of an error,as it is metal,and is on top of the coin,not glue as some seem to be so sure of. the metal is a lighter color than the coin,& raised ,the coin must have been stamped with this extra piece stuck to the die ??? or the planchet ??? . What ever it is i will say this again, Not glue . I appreciate the input .Thanks PPC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread