Grade this 1833 dime.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
In coin grading, a concensus must be reached between seller and buyer over what the condition is. This is one of the easiest - and one of the hardest - things to do.

I've attached obverse/reverse of an 1833 dime for your consideration. Question: does this coin rise to the level of Fine-12 condition?

I like to use James F. Ruddy's "Photograde" for determining initial coin grade. But not all coins fall into easily-categorized fields.

Photograde states this Capped Dime in Very Good (VG-8) condition should be: "Obverse: A total of any three letters (can be two full letters plus two half letters) of "LIBERTY" will be visible. The rim will be full. REVERSE: All the letters will be sharp. A partial "E PLURIBUS UNUM" will show.

This coin easily reaches VG-8 on the obverse, as complete LIBERTY is visible and sharp. But the reverse is, in my opinion, partial, and therefore would only grade VG-8.

Photograde states in Fine-12 this coin should have "...a full "LIBERTY" will show. The ear will be visible. Reverse: There will be a full "E PLURIBUS UNUM." About half of the eagle's feathers will show."

The obverse clearly reaches F-12, with full LIBERTY. But there doesn't seem to be as much hair detail in this coin as the one shown in Photograde. As previously stated, there does not appear to be a full and clear E PLURIBUS UNUM on the reverse. BUT, under 10x magnification on my camera, the motto is nearly complete. Still no feathers on the eagle's breast reverse, though.

Clearly grading this coin has to be a case of "details".

What condition would you grade the obverse? What is the reverse. By combining the grades of each side and dividing by 2 you should get an overall condition. What is your overall condition for this coin?

Attachments

• 183310cob.JPG
    183310cob.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 346
  • 183310crev.JPG
    183310crev.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 346

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me this one would grade VG. While you do have a full LIBERTY and part of an ear, there also appears to be some damage to the field in front of face. The reverse only has a partial E PLURIBUS UNUM and the rim is worn down to the top of some of the letters in STATES.

Once the technical part is over you next have to look at the eye appeal of the coin. While it is difficult to make a decision based on a photo of a coin in a holder, this one just doesn't seem to jump out and say "buy me".

Finally there is price. According to CDN the price difference for this coin between VG and F is only $2.00. So for only a couple of more dollars and with a bit of searching I think you could find one that would be a strong F.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I admit I'm surprised no one has mentioned the condition of the stars, which I think may be key to this coin.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
I admit I'm surprised no one has mentioned the condition of the stars, which I think may be key to this coin.

Why do you think the stars would affect the grade?

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Condition is all about details. Condition of the stars is one of the major details of coins in higher condition. More importantly, the condition of some stars on this coin are considerably more detailed than others. That should be enough of a hint.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Condition is all about details. Condition of the stars is one of the major details of coins in higher condition. More importantly, the condition of some stars on this coin are considerably more detailed than others. That should be enough of a hint.
The stars and the rim behind the head are much stronger than those on the left side which indicates that the coin was not evenly struck. This would account for the weakness on the reverse as well.

While I can see how some folks would call it F, for me it is still a VG coin.

I see you are in Portland. If you happen to be a member of OTTS bring the coin to the next meeting and/or club hunt. I would like to see it in person.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
waseeker said:
The stars and the rim behind the head are much stronger than those on the left side which indicates that the coin was not evenly struck. This would account for the weakness on the reverse as well.

While I can see how some folks would call it F, for me it is still a VG coin.

I see you are in Portland. If you happen to be a member of OTTS bring the coin to the next meeting and/or club hunt. I would like to see it in person.

Glad you saw it, waseeker. Even after many people look at lower grade coins, some people miss the obvious.<G>

I'm still not certain I would call it an F12. I'd agree with the VG designation. But I think we can get closer than just a generic VG8. Is it only VG8, or is it higher?

While I used to be a member of OTTS, I am not currently a member. Last time I was a member was 1988, I think.

What part of WA are you in? Perhaps you'd prefer to PM me with that info.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd probably call it VG10, but that would depend on how distracting the mark in front of the nose is when the coin is viewed in person.

no biggie on location - I'm in Camas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread