How: clean crusted coin?

OldDogEyes

Greenie
Apr 24, 2011
Denver, CO area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Before I ask my question, I know that cleaning a collectible coin is a No-No and will ruin any numismatic value. That being said, this coin has zero value right now because I can't even be sure that it is a coin...

Was at a local park doing an after dark hunt with a pal and found a recently lost clad quarter near the surface right under the turf. Got a strong signal next to the hole. Thought it was going to be another recently lost coin. Nope...

The coin? is so crusted over that I can't even be sure that it's a coin. Sure, it's round, but that's all I can tell... cannot see the surface in any place and the crust is .5 inches thick in places. I frankly have my doubts. My friend said he thinks it is rust which wouldn't make sense for any coin that I know of except a 1943/1944 steel penny (yes I said 1944... wishful thinking, I know).

So what is the safest way to get some of this crud off without totally ruining whatever us underneath? I to have a tumbler and have used it on clad coins before turning into the bank. Used coarse rock grit. A friend uses sand with dish soap in his tumbler for clad coins.

Here are the pic's before I've done anything:
30b1yrb.jpg

2rcoqva.jpg

4t37yt.jpg

20ax6br.jpg

212dbh1.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Doug

p.s. I am new to detecting and this is the first really cruddy piece that I've dug up...

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Cook it. Google "How-To" electrolysis or poke around here on TNet. I've been cooking some El Cazador clumps this morning, and they have come out fantastic.

OP
OP
OldDogEyes

OldDogEyes

Greenie
Apr 24, 2011
Denver, CO area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Diver_Down said:
Cook it. Google "How-To" electrolysis or poke around here on TNet. I've been cooking some El Cazador clumps this morning, and they have come out fantastic.

Oh thanks... this is so dangerous that you won't even link to the instructions... :o :o

Just kidding, looks like a great idea... I'm going to try it with baking soda though, not salt... Any tips? Did you use a 9-volt battery? Did you drop it right into the solution? Salt or Baking Soda?

Thanks,
Doug

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
OldDogEyes said:
Diver_Down said:

Oh thanks... this is so dangerous that you won't even link to the instructions... :o :o

Just kidding, looks like a great idea... I'm going to try it with baking soda though, not salt... Any tips? Did you use a 9-volt battery? Did you drop it right into the solution? Salt or Baking Soda?

Thanks,
Doug

It isn't dangerous. Just have to follow some basic tips. I use an old phone charger. The plug that connects to the phone was snipped and the wires separated. Strip the insulation off the wires about an inch. Attach the positive lead to the item you want to cook. I have the positive wire attached to an alligator clip. The negative lead is attached to a copper rod. You can use anything that will attract the current. Do not let the two come in contact while cooking. I use a teaspoon of salt in water. Set it up and plug it in and watch it bubble. Unplug the power source whenever you want to check the item.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Doug - Keep in mind the directions that I gave above are just rough guidelines. I didn't mention obvious steps like "Don't use a metal pot" etc. Common sense should prevail when mixing water and electricity. That being said, here are a few before and after of the Cazador coin I cooked this morning:

Cazador_Reverse_Before1.jpg

Cazador_Reverse_After1.jpg

Cazador_Obverse_Before1.jpg

Cazador_Obverse_After1.jpg

OP
OP
OldDogEyes

OldDogEyes

Greenie
Apr 24, 2011
Denver, CO area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Diver_Down said:
Doug - Keep in mind the directions that I gave above are just rough guidelines

Don't worry, I didn't use a metal pot... Used a plastic painting "cup" ... It's cooking as we speak. I used baking soda instead of salt. It's powered by a 12 volt battery from a kids car, one of those that kids drive up and down the street. The water is already starting to change colors!

I'll report back later.

Thanks
Doug

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

There is nothing wrong with cleaning any dug coin, collectable or not, I sell all my coins, and all have been cleaned to some point. Cooking it is fine, but I wouldn't suggest it on copper or bronze coins, unless they have little or no value...there much better ways to clean them :icon_thumleft:

SS

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Did you compare the size to a cent? My guess is that it is indeed a 1943 penny. I have dug 2 that looked a lot like that. My guess also is if it is indeed a steel penny, then electrolysis will destroy what you have, but I'd say go ahead and do it as an experiment to see what does indeed happen.

BTW, I am really not sure how bad cleaning a dug coin is if done properly. Dug coins (especially copper ones) are already environmentally damaged. Would you as a buyer pay more for a damaged coin that looks like crud -or- a damaged coin that looks okay? That said, I don't do anything other than sonication and acetone to silver coins.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I know, old thread, but........

that does not look like a coin to me as it reminds me of electric panel knockouts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread