1772 George III Halfpenny

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
This is the coin that I cant seem to dig, so I decided to buy one. I thought that it was rather nice and decided that $100 was worth it :dontknow: What grade/value would you put on it? Looks AWSOME in hand :headbang:

VPR

Attachments

• IMG_0936_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0936_1_1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0942_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0942_1_1.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 432
OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Silver Searcher said:
:icon_thumleft:

Nice coin, price looks about right :icon_thumleft:

SS

Thanks ! I dont see too many in this grade. It really caught my eye and I had to have it. I am thinking about getting into Conder Tokens. Do you know of a good reference book?

VPR

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Thanks ! I dont see too many in this grade. It really caught my eye and I had to have it. I am thinking about getting into Conder Tokens. Do you know of a good reference book?

VPR
Not really :dontknow: I based my findings on what was available to buy, your coin and price faired well :icon_thumleft:...condor tokens I know little about :-\

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but that's definitely too much. If you listed it on Ebay you'd probably get $40-$50, and if I was selling I'd be happy with $50.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

VPR

I think the best ones are out of print and take a little looking and cash to buy. I've been meaning to get one for a very long time, and have seen them for sale, but for some reason didn't pull the trigger. There's a couple of big names for the books but I can't think of them. Not sure if any company has put out something recently but is worth a look.

Here's a thread that names a couple.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=2231.0

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
Sorry, but that's definitely too much. If you listed it on Ebay you'd probably get $40-$50, and if I was selling I'd be happy with $50.

Thanks, IP. I bought the coin on ebay at auction. There were two other bidders that helped drive the price up. I suppose that if I am happy with the coin and the price I paid.......... Overall I am quite happy with it :thumbsup:

VPR

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

VPR

I think the best ones are out of print and take a little looking and cash to buy. I've been meaning to get one for a very long time, and have seen them for sale, but for some reason didn't pull the trigger. There's a couple of big names for the books but I can't think of them. Not sure if any company has put out something recently but is worth a look.

Thanks again IP ! I have a weak spot for old copper. The Conder Tokens are very interesting with the MANY DIFFERENT ones out there. They seem to be relatively inexpensive too. I hate to dive into something without atleast some basic education on the subject. Thanks for your never ending help :notworthy:

VPR

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

Surely it would all depend on the day, I had a fair Mary Groat reach £56, the deal fell through, it sold second time around for £36...some you win, some you loose.

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Iron Patch said:

Thanks, IP. I bought the coin on ebay at auction. There were two other bidders that helped drive the price up. I suppose that if I am happy with the coin and the price I paid.......... Overall I am quite happy with it :thumbsup:

VPR

It being so common is what keeps the price down but still value is a matter of opinion. Seeing these sell is definitely something that is not new to me so I have a lot of experience and am just not making a guess.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Iron Patch said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

VPR

Thanks again IP ! I have a weak spot for old copper. The Conder Tokens are very interesting with the MANY DIFFERENT ones out there. They seem to be relatively inexpensive too. I hate to dive into something without atleast some basic education on the subject. Thanks for your never ending help :notworthy:

VPR

You're right you can pick up the lower grade ones at very reasonable prices, and if that is your objective you don't really need a book. The books I'm guessing are more for ID than a price guide and I find google is usually good enough..... but I have the itch once in a while to buy books and am running out of topics to cover, and that is really the only reason I want one. We actually dig quite a few condor tokens here, and I do like the fact they are so different.

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Iron Patch said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

VPR

VPR

You're right you can pick up the lower grade ones at very reasonable prices, and if that is your objective you don't really need a book. The books I'm guessing are more for ID than a price guide and I find google is usually good enough..... but I have the itch once in a while to buy books and am running out of topics to cover, and that is really the only reason I want one. We actually dig quite a few condor tokens here, and I do like the fact they are so different.

Reference books do seem to be a bit a little expensive too. I usually tell my wife that I am interested in a certain book and sometimes it appears on my desk a week or two later :icon_thumleft: She just got me, RECORD OF AMERICAN UNIFORM AND HISTORICAL BUTTONS, by ALPHAEUS S. ALBERT. Last year she bought me, PENNY WHIMSEY. She is a keeper :headbang:

VPR

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Iron Patch said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Iron Patch said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

VPR

VPR

Reference books do seem to be a bit a little expensive too. I usually tell my wife that I am interested in a certain book and sometimes it appears on my desk a week or two later :icon_thumleft: She just got me, RECORD OF AMERICAN UNIFORM AND HISTORICAL BUTTONS, by ALPHAEUS S. ALBERT. Last year she bought me, PENNY WHIMSEY. She is a keeper :headbang:

VPR

Yep, that is right on. At least a couple of my books have actually gone up in value so not always a bad thing. I do agree though, many are quite expensive... but you can always justify it with the fact you only have to buy it once and will be able to use it for good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread