Any guess on condition?- MORE PICS ADDED!

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II
What kind of condition would you rate these two?
DSC_5100.jpg

DSC_5101.jpg

2nd coin
DSC_5102.jpg

DSC_5103.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: Any guess on condition?

The 82 CC would easily grade MS-63 or better. Nice coin. Was it cracked out of a GSA holder?

The Peace is melt. It doesn't matter the grade. Melt is the best value you'll ever get for it.

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used

CC coin was bought for me when I was about 13 for either a birthday or christmas. I was given one for each occasion up until I was in my 20's. I assume it was bought at a coin store. Most of the coins look as good as the CC coin.

Between it and the 1921 they were the only two that showed a low mint or higher price in the lowest grade. I was hoping the 21 was at least a step up in grade.

Thanks for the reply.

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas

The 21 peace dollar is worth more than melt. That year was the only year to have a high relief striking. Complaints were made that the coins didnt stack well and the design was later modified. The 1921 peace dollar in EF should be worth around $100.

Alan

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other

I'd value the Peace dollar at 60-70 dollars. The Morgan is nice, I'd want to look at it under my loupe before I gave it a grade.(Of course I am an amateur).

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Sorry about that. I couldn't make out the 21 Peace. I just read the 192_, and assumed it to be just another common Peace. In that case, it is indeed worth more. Because of it's rough condition, it would more than likely only serve as a filler for someone who wants to complete the series but doesn't want to shell out the money for a more appealing coin. $60 would be a fair price..

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the replies guys! I believe I am going to find someone locally that can grade them for me.

Tom

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used

I was trying to get an idea on how the grading worked. A lot of the coins are CC quality or better.
Not sure if I am going to sell or not but I would really like to have GPX 4800/5000 so I thought these coins might be a way to raise a little cash. I have close to fifty so it would add up.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

The grading is a start, but it comes down to the individual coins. A frosty mint state 1921 Morgan dollar would never come close to the rough 1921 Peace that you show.

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used

Basically I looked up each coin in the lowest grade and the two above where the only ones higher than $36.00. That is why I posted those so I could get an example on grading. Majority of the coins will grade as high as the Carson City coin maybe higher... some are lower...But it gave me an idea on where to start.

Again I appreciate the help and education. Lots of knowledgeable folks on here.

I will try to post some more pics of the better coins if you guys would like to see them.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

MercMan said:
Basically I looked up each coin in the lowest grade and the two above where the only ones higher than $36.00. That is why I posted those so I could get an example on grading. Majority of the coins will grade as high as the Carson City coin maybe higher... some are lower...But it gave me an idea on where to start.

Again I appreciate the help and education. Lots of knowledgeable folks on here.

I will try to post some more pics of the better coins if you guys would like to see them.

Please do. Keep in mind that referencing the Redbook or other price guides are only that - a guide. These guides when they are published have no way to compensate for the increase in precious metal content. In many cases, the silver melt value exceeds the numismatic value. I look forward to seeing what other coins that you would like to share.

OP
OP
MercMan

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used

I take some more pics tonight when I get home.

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ImpurestStewart said:
I'd value the Peace dollar at 60-70 dollars. The Morgan is nice, I'd want to look at it under my loupe before I gave it a grade.(Of course I am an amateur).

GREYSHEET for the 21 peace is $100 in VG
unless you think this coin is only a GOOD, why 60-70 bucks only?

pics are not good enough.

BUT

clearly the 1882-cc is a strong XF at the very least, and worth $100 or more. the peace dollar i'd say $110.

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
yonico said:
ImpurestStewart said:

BUT

clearly the 1882-cc is a strong XF at the very least, and worth $100 or more. the peace dollar i'd say $110.

I payed $60 for one better than this one. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it. Greysheet may say $110 but a seasoned coin vet. isn't gonna pay that for it. I think the Morgan may be a tad better than XF. As for an example of a coin that SHOULD sell higher than spot, Let's take the 1916-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar, Worth about 30-40 bucks in G. I payed $15 for it on ebay. It just all depends.

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:
yonico said:
ImpurestStewart said:

BUT

I payed $60 for one better than this one. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it. Greysheet may say $110 but a seasoned coin vet. isn't gonna pay that for it. I think the Morgan may be a tad better than XF. As for an example of a coin that SHOULD sell higher than spot, Let's take the 1916-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar, Worth about 30-40 bucks in G. I payed $15 for it on ebay. It just all depends.

well,
buying coins on ebay SIGHT UNSEEN, is a different story. even though you see pics you do not hold the coin in your hands. different story.
anyway, the peace dollar is worth $100 in VG, and this is a better example. i'm pretty sure an honest coin dealer will pay more than $60 for it

the prices you paid for the coins you bought are not the real price, these are just VERY GOOD DEALS you were able to get. i wish i could buy at these prices :laughing7:

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
yonico said:
ImpurestStewart said:
yonico said:
ImpurestStewart said:

BUT

well,
buying coins on ebay SIGHT UNSEEN, is a different story. even though you see pics you do not hold the coin in your hands. different story.
anyway, the peace dollar is worth $100 in VG, and this is a better example. i'm pretty sure an honest coin dealer will pay more than $60 for it

the prices you paid for the coins you bought are not the real price, these are just VERY GOOD DEALS you were able to get. i wish i could buy at these prices :laughing7:

Someone else on this thread has already agreed with me. You kind of argued yourself into a corner with your saying my ebay example isn't the same as this(Even though you haven't held this coin in your hand either and still say it is worth over $100 bucks) If you want to pay over $100 for this coin by all means go ahead, I'll keep my $60 one :]. How many coin dealers do you know that pay the exact value for a coin then turn around and sell it for the same price and still stay in business?

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:
yonico said:
ImpurestStewart said:
yonico said:
ImpurestStewart said:

BUT

well,

Someone else on this thread has already agreed with me. You kind of argued yourself into a corner with your saying my ebay example isn't the same as this(Even though you haven't held this coin in your hand either and still say it is worth over $100 bucks) If you want to pay over $100 for this coin by all means go ahead, I'll keep my $60 one :]. How many coin dealers do you know that pay the exact value for a coin then turn around and sell it for the same price and still stay in business?

obviously i'd rather pay $60.. :laughing9:
i'm not trying to buy his coin, just trying to help him determine the value.
i AM a coin dealer, and i have a store. i won't pay him full price cause obviously i have to make something on it, but i don't think it's fair to offer 50% of BID PRICE for a specific coin. and i don't do that. eBay is different, maybe peace dollars are not as popular as Morgans on ebay.
GREYSHEET has the prices for dealer-to-dealer transactions, and if BID-ASK is 120-130, $60 is a lowball.
just my opinion though. i was not trying, in no way, to start an argument.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread