Cleaning Coins

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Get some hydrogen peroxide and stick it in the microware for a min. Put the coin in the hot peroxide and put a lamp over it.

Take it out after a few minutes and dip a q-tip in the peroxide and roll it over the coin to remove some dirt.

flip and repeat until all the dirt is gone.

I've used this for all of the coppers I've found with great success, lincolns, indians, large cents, etc..

But if you think its valuable don't clean it and get professional advice.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never clean coins.

If you have a coin with "gunk", soak it in Acetone with a cover so the Acetone will not evaporate. When done, rinse with fresh
Acetone and then with running water so clean off the Acetone.

Acetone will not remove toning or anything that is numismatic about a coin.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm assuming you are speaking of cleaning dug coins. I've dug 700+ coins this year including large cents, 2-cent piece, early standing quarters, IH's, Barbers, seated, etc, and have cleaned every single one.
First, I verify that the coin is not valuble, and procede to clean. For most wheats, I tumble for approximately 15 minutes or so, to remover most dirt. Clad gets tumbled for a half hour or better.
The big question to clean or not to clean, is up to an individual to decide. Personally, I have no plans to sell my collection, and will probably pass it on.
Non-dug coins, now that's an entirely different subject.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
I'm assuming you are speaking of cleaning dug coins. I've dug 700+ coins this year including large cents, 2-cent piece, early standing quarters, IH's, Barbers, seated, etc, and have cleaned every single one.
First, I verify that the coin is not valuble, and procede to clean. For most wheats, I tumble for approximately 15 minutes or so, to remover most dirt. Clad gets tumbled for a half hour or better.
The big question to clean or not to clean, is up to an individual to decide. Personally, I have no plans to sell my collection, and will probably pass it on.
Non-dug coins, now that's an entirely different subject.

I agree, wasn't even thinking about finds from dirt fishing. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread