How to know if a coin is gold or not.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a coin than has been described as silver or pale gold. Now I need to know how to know if the coin is really gold before I try to clean it. All the finds were found having a hard some sort of patina on them, removing it has been hard. I would like to know if its gold, but don't know if I want to take the coin to a jeweler because he would have to use a small swab of the material to test. The coin is a Tremissis from the year +/- 640, don't want to damage it any more than it is.

How to test for gold is my question.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy gold testing kits at ebay or online, but it would be worth taking the coin to a jeweler just to know if it's gold or not. It's still going to be a valuable coin, even if the gold test causes some damage, but they might know the exact weight and be experts on the coin, so they might just weigh it and give you a professional opinion.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
The safest method that I'm aware of is Specific Gravity. But since you say the coin is not clean then that may throw off test results.

Check out how to do the test here:
http://www.attilacoins.com/Calculate_Specific_Gravidity_coin.asp
Hi "DigginThePast". Yes I know of that, but this coin weighs so darn little, its very tiny, I think what you say about not being clean would throw it way off. I have looked at how people test for gold on the internet and do understand how that works, but I do not want to do that, I do not want to damage the coin in any way. The specific gravity would work, but it would have to be clean first and be very accurate. But thanks a lot for mentioning it.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

I take you are refering to your recent find, it's common for that type of coin to be pale Gold, it's just the Silver mix in the Gold, a soak in lemon juice will lift some of the crud off, but might take a long soak, if you need something a bit more heavier, Jenolite which you can buy of the net, check the strength of the mix and diolute if needed, I have used both these methods :icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:icon_scratch:

I take you are refering to your recent find, it's common for that type of coin to be pale Gold, it's just the Silver mix in the Gold, a soak in lemon juice will lift some of the crud off, but might take a long soak, if you need something a bit more heavier, Jenolite which you can buy of the net, check the strength of the mix and diolute if needed, I have used both these methods :icon_thumleft:

SS
Well SS that's what I though also and will start soon to do just what you mention. A long time does not matter to me, I have all the time. I am pretty sure its pale gold, sometimes I see some yellow along with the silver. It has not tarnished at all either. Thanks. Will look for the Jenolite on the web....

S

stefen

I am of the opinion that all Tremissis are solid gold...

If it was mine, I'd have it professionally cleaned...and graded...

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Yes I think so too. I have read in the book "Charlemagne empire and society By Joanna Story" that because the gold coinage in that period became more and more debased on gold, and that the gold coinage was also struk in silver, see text.

I really don't know, it would have to be cleaned first before grading, and I always read that a coin is more valuable if its NOT cleaned. Than kind of holds me back...
Thanks for your comment.

Attachments

• extract Charlemagne.jpg
    extract Charlemagne.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 675

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:

No they are not, a lot were debased, hence the different colours. :icon_thumleft:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread