Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Anyone use this site? coin "Photo" Grading

Diver_Down said:
Indeed, it is a fine site. Congrats on the 14'D. You also might want to look into having your key date conserved (and consequently graded/slabbed). http://www.ncscoin.com/ is a division of NGC.

how much does it cost for them to clean and grade and slab a coin? or is http://www.pcgs.com/ the better way to go?

Chukers

is it really worth it just for a wheat penny?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

PCGS will not conserve the coin, and they will not grade a coin with environmental damage. The most they will do is certify it as "Genuine". I'm unsure of the costs associated with conservation. You have a key date. In my opinion, it is worth the costs.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PCGS will holder the coin genuine and it will be protected and perserved, but it's not "conserved". PCGS charges the same fro slabbing genuine coins as they do problem free coins. It all depends on how soon you want your coin back, and if it's modern or not, since your coin isn't modern then $18 plus S/H fees will apply.

Here's PCGS's fee schedule http://www.pcgs.com/gradinglist.html

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am considering sending in to get it conserved/graded/slabbed, but I have read where they have sent coins back saying they were improperly cleaned... yes this is a dug coin... does anyone know when sending in their dug coins do they get them back unconserved/graded/slabbed?

Chukers

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chukers said:
I am considering sending in to get it conserved/graded/slabbed, but I have read where they have sent coins back saying they were improperly cleaned... yes this is a dug coin... does anyone know when sending in their dug coins do they get them back unconserved/graded/slabbed?
Chukers

Unless you otherwise specify, PCGS will send the coin back in a sealed, and hard plastic, holder with a label saying GENUINE. They will also place a number on the coin, amongst their bar code label, that corrosponds with that they think is wrong with the coin, like this http://coinauctionshelp.com/Coin_He...-not-gradable-number-codes-what-do-they-mean/

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoinHELP! said:
chukers said:
Chukers

Unless you otherwise specify, PCGS will send the coin back in a sealed, and hard plastic, holder with a label saying GENUINE. They will also place a number on the coin, amongst their bar code label, that corrosponds with that they think is wrong with the coin, like this http://coinauctionshelp.com/Coin_He...-not-gradable-number-codes-what-do-they-mean/

That is exactly what I am afraid of... but that don't seem to happen with dug coins... I'd like to get it "officially" graded... I know its F12 or better... I already know its genuine... I just don't want any negative comments to go along with it that might make it less valuable. this is my first key date (well I have a damaged 32d Washington quarter)

Am I being too picky?

Chukers

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Chukers, forget PCGS. Everyone will peg PCGS as the top third-party grading service, but with a dug coin, you will only get a "Genuine" attribute with no grade. Submitting the coin to NCS, they will conserve the coin properly and then it will be graded by NGC. NGC is a very close second when it comes to third-party grading. Some, especially those who are in the market for a key date coin, will not care who grades the coin. They want to know what the grade is and that it isn't fraudulent, and it hasn't been cleaned with a brillo pad in the kitchen sink.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down said:
Chukers, forget PCGS. Everyone will peg PCGS as the top third-party grading service, but with a dug coin, you will only get a "Genuine" attribute with no grade. Submitting the coin to NCS, they will conserve the coin properly and then it will be graded by NGC. NGC is a very close second when it comes to third-party grading. Some, especially those who are in the market for a key date coin, will not care who grades the coin. They want to know what the grade is and that it isn't fraudulent, and it hasn't been cleaned with a brillo pad in the kitchen sink.

I would agree with you if the surface of the coin wasn't so damaged. NCS can only conserve a coin, and grade a coin, if they can restore the original surface, but the original surface of this coin is damage beyond conservation. I say this based on what looks like pitting under LIBERTY. If this isn't pitting then I digress.

PCGS isn't the top grading service, they're one of two, but coins are worth more in their holder 9 times out of 10.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoinHELP! said:
Diver_Down said:

I would agree with you if the surface of the coin wasn't so damaged. NCS can only conserve a coin, and grade a coin, if they can restore the original surface, but the original surface of this coin is damage beyond conservation. I say this based on what looks like pitting under LIBERTY. If this isn't pitting then I digress.

PCGS isn't the top grading service, they're one of two, but coins are worth more in their holder 9 times out of 10.

that is dirt that is below the word liberty... I just didn't want to clean it any further because it had more of that on there before I soaked it in soap and water

thank you for all your help... I'll send it off soon.

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009

Just wanted to let people know PCGS is now grading genuine with details so if it is cleaned and corroded it will have a details grade with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread