• 11:6:11..38P Rev.jpg
    11:6:11..38P Rev.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 758

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
1235CE said:
Great looking nickel!.......This coin is AU-55, not quite MS-60.

Congrats!

HH all!

Greg

Alex, it is a very nice find especially at face value. With Jefferson's, it is all about the reverse first and foremost, but you can't ignore the man himself on the obverse. That being said, it is a solid AU-50. If it weren't for the nick on his jaw and collar, then it would push it to AU-55. No way is it MS-60 or above. Still a very nice find.

OP
OP
AGBlex

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome guys thanks so much for the help!... you guys clearly know your stuff.
thanks a bunch diver down.
Now is it worth anything? haha i know its the first year of the jefferson nickel and i know its one of the higher minted ones but in this condition does it hold a nice value?

thanks guys and HH
Alex

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
AGBlex said:
awesome guys thanks so much for the help!... you guys clearly know your stuff.
thanks a bunch diver down.
Now is it worth anything? haha i know its the first year of the jefferson nickel and i know its one of the higher minted ones but in this condition does it hold a nice value?

thanks guys and HH
Alex

Being a first year of the new design, collectors saved them at the time. Consequently, there is an ample supply for collectors today. Your coin would be valued from $1 to $1.50 in it's condition.

OP
OP
AGBlex

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alrighty man thank you for the information. good thing i only paid 5 cents for it

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Diver_Down said:
1235CE said:

Congrats!

HH all!

Greg

Alex, it is a very nice find especially at face value. With Jefferson's, it is all about the reverse first and foremost, but you can't ignore the man himself on the obverse. That being said, it is a solid AU-50. If it weren't for the nick on his jaw and collar, then it would push it to AU-55. No way is it MS-60 or above. Still a very nice find.

Diver.........excellent info you have given here but you really can't knock off a whole 5 grade points for 2 nicks, especially when the fields on the obverse and reverse are practically unscathed and showing about 80% original luster, maybe more. I would expect an AU-50 coin to show between 25% and 50%.....not 80%+. It wouldn't go down to XF-45 with 4 nicks, VF-35 with 8 nicks, ya know?

Anything below AU-55 and you're talking about honest circulation wear, not bag marks.

That said, I enjoy seeing you post because you are an excellent coin grader. :icon_thumleft:

HH all!

Greg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
1235CE said:
Diver_Down said:
1235CE said:

Congrats!

HH all!

Greg

Diver.........excellent info you have given here but you really can't knock off a whole 5 grade points for 2 nicks, especially when the fields on the obverse and reverse are practically unscathed and showing about 80% original luster, maybe more. I would expect an AU-50 coin to show between 25% and 50%.....not 80%+. It wouldn't go down to XF-45 with 4 nicks, VF-35 with 8 nicks, ya know?

Anything below AU-55 and you're talking about honest circulation wear, not bag marks.

That said, I enjoy seeing you post because you are an excellent coin grader. :icon_thumleft:

HH all!

Greg

Thanks for feedback, Greg. I did say a solid AU50 pushing to an AU55. It was very conservative grade. My opinion just wasn't based on the quantity of bag marks and nicks, but overall eye appeal and the location of the nicks. Nicks in the hair line or the coat can easily be overlooked, but with the clean cheek of Jefferson looking like he was in a street fight is more than I would care to see especially for this particular coin.

I don't want to denigrate Alex's find. It was a great find in circulation and the price was right. However, if a Jefferson collector wanted a first year example, there is more than an ample supply of mint state specimens that would only set the buyer back what it would cost to eat dinner at a local fast food restaurant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread