25th anniv. SAE sets

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got mine, wasn't planning on sending it in. Two of the coins are damaged, of course. I don't think I've ever gotten a product from the mint undamaged.

OP
OP
legend76

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you just get one set? I'm thinking of sending my sets in to get graded and hope for some PF-70 reverse proofs or MS-70 S mints

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got one. I wish I had gotten five so that I would have had a chance at assembling an undamaged set and sending back the crap ones. It's my experience that you always have to send things like proof sets back to the mint three or four times before you get a good one. I'm not really even that picky, but proof coins shouldn't have big scratches on them.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you post an image of one of these coins? And are you sure they're scratches?

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've opened up the package and your sending them in to be graded you won't recieve the 25th Anniversary label I believe. Check the NGC website for submitting them.
I just bought a sealed box off 5 sets on ebay that I'm sending into NGC to be graded so I hope I'm lucky. As I wasn't very lucky trying to get through on the USMints website. >:(

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pictures. The UNC one might just be some oil or moisture. If I am not able to get a replacement I will try to save it with some acetone. The proof is definitely damaged. There are some fingerprints/smudges on the air-tite in the images, but the big ugly bits are on the coin itself.

This degree of damage is quite typical from everything I've bought from the mint recently (proof sets and the like). I'm shocked others haven't had similar issues with their sets. I completely expected this from past experience.

My reverse proof also has some spots on the reverse, but probably within the range most people would consider acceptable (i.e. it's only a PF68 or PF69, rather than a PF70).

Attachments

• 2011-S-ASE-unc-obverse-damage.jpg
    2011-S-ASE-unc-obverse-damage.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 762
  • 2011-W-ASE-proof-reverse-damage.jpg
    2011-W-ASE-proof-reverse-damage.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 762

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time. I have seen plenty of impaired proofs come into the shop. I think everyone has an issue now and again. What I was most concerned about was the scratches you talked about.

I would most certainly send back coins with stains and and large spots. I just don't buy from the US Mint, but buy collections locally.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a couple silver proof sets earlier this year and had to send them back three times before I got acceptable ones. Acceptable meaning that the only ugly coins were the dollars with the unpopular presidents. The unacceptable sets didn't just have slight toning or something, they had really bad spots, and in one case, there was actual pitting on Sacagawea.

I think the majority of what the mint sends out must be like this, but nobody really looks at it. They just go right into their dealer stock or get wrapped as presents. Either that, or I'm the unluckiest guy in the world, having 2/5 problem coins in my ASE set and 6/8 bad silver proof sets.

Looking at the proof again, the squiggly bit between "FINE" and "SILVER" might be struck-through a fiber of some kind (no, that's not lint on the holder - that's a groove on the coin). Regardless, the damage around "S" in states and the rim-ding next to it are really unacceptable. It's not possible that anyone inspected the coin at all before packaging it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread