USB coin camera / microscope

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone here ever used one of the USB microscope/enlarger cameras from ebay? Seems like the perfect tool to take great pics of coins and VERY close up pics. Some go as much as 800x magnification. U want to try one, but want a users opinion first. I have some software for cataloging coin collections that lets me have pictures in it. But I don't have a camera that takes good close-ups and this seems like the answer!

If you have never seen one, search ebay for USB microscope. Most are simple table top units and costs start at $29. I like the silver one that has a platform and a pen type camera with attachments. It can also be used as an endoscope, so you can insert it into your finds/bottles/barrels. Seems like it could have many uses.

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it still raining in ridgeland? It is pouring here in Laurel!! Always good to see another Mississippi person on this forum. And no I've never used or even seen a coin magnifer camera..

OP
OP
The Silver Pirate

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, it's miserable up here!

Here is the one I'm looking at...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-0MP-Handh...961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2314813f09

I like this one because it has many accessories, and a base. Most of all, the snapshot button is in-line on the cord. The others are on the unit, at 500x magnification, I would want to shake the camera hitting the button. And, it comes off the stand and is skinny so it can be inserted into things.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The microscope that the OP linked us to looks like a do-it-yourself colonoscopy kit. :blob7:

OP
OP
The Silver Pirate

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome links, thanks. The reason I am thinking of the one I posted, was because the "snap shot" button is inline, instead of on the unit, which might blur the image. And, it can be used as a colonoscope! Just kidding! :laughing7: :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread