Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps redbook should start listing all Circulated
silver coins at a minimum of three times their Melt Value,
or we'll eventually loose them all to Melting.

still going on today,

article from 1999 AFTER THE MELTS in 1979 and 1980: WHAT'S LEFT IN SILVER COINS?

Normally, the value of a coin is based on how many were made. In years to come, however, the value of silver United States coins may hinge to a greater extent on how many were lost. Millions have been melted for the recapture of their metal, and the impact on coin collecting -- while still not fully gauged -- is likely to be great as time goes by.

Most of the melting took place in 1979 and 1980, when silver bullion soared to an all-time high of $50 an ounce. At that point, common-date silver coins were worth far more as metal than as money or collectibles. Even scarcer items could be melted at a profit.

Coen estimated that of all the silver coins produced by the United States Mint, only about one-quarter survived the ongoing melts. He confided that he himself sold refiners $400 million worth of fabricated silver, mostly silver coins, during the one-year period from July 1, 1979 to June 30, 1980 -- "and," he commented, "other guys were doing the same thing."

"All the low-end silver stuff got melted," he declared. "Any coins that wouldn't bring 35 bucks an ounce or more at retail -- there was no other point but to melt them.

http://www.pcgs.com/Articles/Detail/496

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think within the next 20 years silver coins are going to explode in value. Not for PM weight either. It makes me sick thinking about how many coins have been melted down. My goal now is to get to the "older" people with silver coin stashes and try to get them before the refinery does.

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
It is very sad but in the long run those of us who care about coins and keep them safe will have the last laugh when our common date rosies bring hundreds of dollars!!!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capndan151 said:
It is very sad but in the long run those of us who care about coins and keep them safe will have the last laugh when our common date rosies bring hundreds of dollars!!!!

imagine one day, pulling a 64 roosie out
of the ground or a coinroll, Ebaying it
& getting a $1,000.00 Bid,
so someone can complete a collection :laughing7:

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
I really hope that day comes guys, none of mine are going anywhere except in the safe. My kids can decide what to do with them when I'm gone, but if I have my way, they'll learn to appreciate them like I do :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread