2011 25th Anniversary Silver American Eagle Set

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I just wanted to give a head's up to those who missed out on getting the set direct from the mint. There is currently a set that will be up for auction via Proxibid this coming New Year's Day. It is currently below melt price.

I have my own set and flipped the others on eBay before Christmas. I will be attending the auction live and plan to bid on the set so long as it stays low enough to make it worth my while.

Disclaimer: I'm not selling this set. I am not affiliated with the auction house. I just wanted to give a head's up to those that might be interested and missed their chance direct from the mint.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2415&aid=46258&lid=12168542#topoflot

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Now, I wish I didn't sell my sets. This week's Numismatic News had some latest findings with regards to the set. First, there has been a minor die crack discovered on some of the Reverse Proofs that runs horizontally in the skirt of Liberty. The other which will add more value to the sets is that some of the uncirculated non-mintmarked bullion eagles had originated from San Fran. The uncirculated bullion eagles were sourced from existing inventory when assembling the sets. The majority were minted at West Point, but in the summer West Point stopped production for maintenance and the work continued in San Fran for a limited run. They were never mintmarked so the only way at the time to ensure which eagle came from where was by the green monster box it was delivered in. San Fran bullion eagles had their monster boxes banded with a label. Third-party marketers jumped on the opportunity and slabbed them and now they can be bought for a premium. Well, apparently the Mint held back some and used some of these when assembling the 25th anniversary set. The non-mintmarked San Fran bullion eagles have a die indicator that is unique to their facility. There is a horizontal hash mark on the central tail feather at the tip that doesn't exist on West Point bullion eagles.

So check your sets, you might have gotten lucky by getting 2 San Fran Eagles - one with a mintmark and one without. I'm hoping to get a chance to preview the above set either today or tomorrow to determine if the hash mark is present.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Diver_Down said:
Now, I wish I didn't sell my sets. This week's Numismatic News had some latest findings with regards to the set. First, there has been a minor die crack discovered on some of the Reverse Proofs that runs horizontally in the skirt of Liberty. The other which will add more value to the sets is that some of the uncirculated non-mintmarked bullion eagles had originated from San Fran. The uncirculated bullion eagles were sourced from existing inventory when assembling the sets. The majority were minted at West Point, but in the summer West Point stopped production for maintenance and the work continued in San Fran for a limited run. They were never mintmarked so the only way at the time to ensure which eagle came from where was by the green monster box it was delivered in. San Fran bullion eagles had their monster boxes banded with a label. Third-party marketers jumped on the opportunity and slabbed them and now they can be bought for a premium. Well, apparently the Mint held back some and used some of these when assembling the 25th anniversary set. The non-mintmarked San Fran bullion eagles have a die indicator that is unique to their facility. There is a horizontal hash mark on the central tail feather at the tip that doesn't exist on West Point bullion eagles.

So check your sets, you might have gotten lucky by getting 2 San Fran Eagles - one with a mintmark and one without. I'm hoping to get a chance to preview the above set either today or tomorrow to determine if the hash mark is present.

Just wanted to let those that are interested in the set above. I previewed the set yesterday afternoon and confirmed the die indicator on the bullion eagle. It contains the horizontal hash which indicates it is from San Fran. The Reverse Proof does not have the die crack. Overall, it is an unblemished set that might contend for MS70/PR70 grades. It does have the mintmarked San Fran coin and the non-mintmarked San Fran coin.

optix

Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone seriously over paid for the set.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread