mr etrackr

Nov 23, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Detector(s) used
minelab CTX-3030 , explorer SE & excall 1000, excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi and thanks for looking.

I dug this dime last winter . I would say that it is near uncirculated. its the best condition coin i have ever dug. i have read that the coins minted in new orleans during this time were low quality. this dime however has realy good detail. does anyone know the value ov this dime in this condition? should i have it graded?

the pics are taken through a 5X eye loupe

thanks for looking!!

HH

mikeB

Attachments

• barber dime back.jpg
    barber dime back.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 466
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 487

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From 2010 Redbook Prices.

I'd guess at Best, considering it's "DUG"

EF Condition $190

I Don't think you'll get an AU grade ($280)

Fine Condition $85.00 I Don't think it would
grade Lower then Fine

in between vf is $130.00

Although I Know a dealer
who will say it's only worth Melt $2.1477
& offer you $2.00 so he can make a Small Profit :laughing7:

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with jeff. Under magnifacation you can see the pitting from it being in the ground for years. VF at best. If you send it to NGC, they will more than likely give it a grade details clause or whatever due to the pitting. Still a beautiful coin!!

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I don't know, I really don't see all the pitting everyone is talking about. That coin is xf 40-45 in my opinion at least and should be worth 120-150 bucks.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I don't see any pitting, but the device area on the obverse appears to be cleaned. Could be the glare of the pic. That said, I would give it an XF40 details "cleaned"

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
ImpurestStewart said:
I agree with jeff. Under magnifacation you can see the pitting from it being in the ground for years. VF at best. If you send it to NGC, they will more than likely give it a grade details clause or whatever due to the pitting. Still a beautiful coin!!

I have no problem whatsoever saying this dime was dropped in uncirculated condition, because it most definately was. :icon_thumleft:

A coin does not go from Unc to AU to XF to VF to F, etc. from being in the ground, the grade gets lowered by wear from circulation.

Therefore this coin's proper slabbed grade should be "Unc. details with environmental damage"

HH all!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread