Coin related... I guess

A

AlFu

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question that I guess could be considered coin related. Does a coins' metal composition play any role in how deep it will go into the ground, or change its' rate of decent? In other words; Let's say two coins are lost at the same time, at around 100 years ago and in the same location, we'll say the woods. One is a silver half and the other, a Large Cent. Let's also say that there is no one tampering with the coins either. No one stepping on them ect. Will the two coins be found at the same depth or will one be deeper than the other? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Thanks,

Al-Fu

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would say not because if you drop a bowling ball and a feather at the same time their rates of descent are the same so i would think the same could be said for coins.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, Ski--you forgot the part about "in a vacuum" when you made that statement.
John in the 208

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah yeah in a vacuum

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wouldn't the area of the coin make a difference? And if it's on it's edge of lying flat?

OP
OP
A

AlFu

Mzjavert said:
Wouldn't the area of the coin make a difference? And if it's on it's edge of lying flat?

I'm sure it would make a difference to some degree if the coin was on edge. The example I gave had a similar coin area with a silver half and a colonial copper. I just wanted to know if the silvers end up going deeper than the coppers over a particular time span. No biggie really. Just having a little fun here.

H.H.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread