rare B.C. coin found. Identified it. Now what?

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
First time poster long time lurker. My friend brings this coin to work and shows it to me. He said he found it a few years ago digging a sewage pipe for a company. He researched it and it came up as....
Egypt, ptolemy II, 285-246 BC. Largest of the ptolemaic bronze coins and one of the largest and heaviest ancient coins struck. $2750 est.
Someone was selling one just like it on the internet for $2500.
Where we are on a very very remote island in Alaska. It might have very historical value as well as monetary value. My friend is not sure what to do with the coin. First thing i did was grabbed a ziplock bag and put it in there for him.
Any help is appreciated and here are the pics. Makes me want to buy a detector and start!!

rarecoin2.jpg

rarecoin1.jpg

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
have it graded by one of the leading grading agencies, like PCGS or NGC. Check a coin shop for a copy of coin world magazine, or search online for grading companies. May want to call first and ask how they handle foreign coins, or if they do at all.

If nothing else, get it out of that ziploc bag and into a good coin holder. You can get them at a coin shop, hopefully there is one near you. A lot of plastics contain PVC, which can damage coins if left in there for long periods.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin in itself is of historical signifigance. How it got there is an entirely different story, which, may not be historical at all. Many believe in the Bering Strait theory and many do not. It is doubtful that the Egyptians made their way up that far north and to their east. Not impossible though, as, the Vikings made it to America long before it was logged for the New World by Colombus, who, never actrually set foot in North America.

Some reading and research might lead you along the right path. The Bering Ice Bridge, that everyone so loves, was nearly a 1,000 miles wide and 55 miles long from shore to shore. This left a thin strip of land near the glacier which some scientist say people could have traveled across. Beware. The theory behind this bridge melted 10,000 years ago. check withthe local police to see if they have a record of a coin being reported as lost or stolen...just my thoughts.

GL and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread