very old liberty nickel, how to store it.

bonus2003

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to the coin hunting, collecting hobby and I purchased a few lots of coins online and came across a very old very good condition liberty nickels. Value is somewhere around 20-30 bucks not too much but I really like the detail of the coin. I will try and post a picture once I am home but what I would like to know if how do I keep it from rusting or being damaged by the environment-including the crud that is already on it. I dont know if just by putting it in a airtight container or a vinyl sleeve is enough to keep it looking the same.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: very old liberty nickle, how to store it.

Welcome to TNet!

They are nickels, not nickles. The V Nickel series is one of the prettiest, especially in higher grades.

How to store them? In an album allows you to see what you are missing at a glance.<G>

To keep them from rusting or from environmental damage, keep them above ground, and out of salt water or acid. That's where the "environmental damage" comes from.

But if you've got crud already on it, it may already have environmental damage.

To remove some of that damage (only if organic) use Q-tips dipped in acetone. If the Q-tip discolors, use another. Q-tips and acetone are cheap, and will not damage a coin's patina or surface. BTW, acetone will remove most organic debris on almost any coin.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: very old liberty nickle, how to store it.

Use "Safe T" flips or cardboard 2x2's with a clear mylar center so the coins doesn't incur PVC damage. It would be nice to see an image of the coin to ascertain what damage it might already have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread