d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
on here? A few years back I found, on a CW battlefield, 7 quarters,23 dimes and two half dimes. All in great shape being as they had lain there since the battle in 1864 except for 2 that had been "holed" one half dime and one dime. Any way my question is this: I sent pictures to a gentleman and he said one appeared to be very rare. He went on to say that one year(I cant remember what year) that when the year changed the die was changed on the front but not the back for a few coins and then someone thought about it and changed the back or "tail" die and they went on with production. Not knowing anything about coins I carried my new found treasures to a coin dealer to ask him if they needed to be in a safe deposit box, how they needed to be stored and if they were worth anything other than the silver content. He looked at 4 or 5 coins and said " I will give you 2,000 bucks for the coins" I told him again I did not want to sell them I was just checking to see what they were worth. He said "I cant tell you what they are worth because I am a coin dealer" :icon_scratch: What I would like to know is this; was there a year where the workers at the mint forgot to change both dies? These coins date from 1836(the year of the Alamo and the year AR/MI became states) to 1860. Any help will be appreciated...d2

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not anywhere near expert,

other then the 1870S half dime being listed as unique $661,250 in red book,
& a 1871 CC Dime, $1000.00 in minimum condition listed

there are 4 varities of dimes & half dimes but nothing else stands out to me :dontknow:

perhaps Condition was key ?

http://www.pcgs.com/Articles/Detail/5468

Last edited:

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't claim to be an expert but if your referring to an 1853 Seated Dime then there's something. Some were struck without arrows on each side of the date (more rare) and the more common example was struck with Arrows on each side of the date. Also there's an 1859 with reverse of 1860 that's extremely rare.

An image would help a great deal. Also, you should list the dates of the coins for further help. Thanks

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will try and post dates and such later today... Thanks...d2