Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jun 2012
    Knoxville,TN
    1 times

Question 1970 S ...Can I get your opinions.Please

Be careful whose toes you step on today,They may be connected to the A$$ you kiss tomorrow!

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    May 2012
    Kingsport, TN
    45 times
    This is not a 1970 s small date. This is one tough find until you find one. Check my post I found one not long ago. The 9 is What you really have to look at the tail will point more towards the 7 on small date versus on a regular on it will point toward the S. Also in the small date the 7 will be noticeably higher also. Hope this helps.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    725 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dustywallen View Post
    This is not a 1970 s small date. This is one tough find until you find one. Check my post I found one not long ago. The 9 is What you really have to look at the tail will point more towards the 7 on small date versus on a regular on it will point toward the S. Also in the small date the 7 will be noticeably higher also. Hope this helps.
    +1 It is easy to distinguish once you see photos of an actual small date. Pay attention to the Nine.

Mar 2006
    Seattle area
    Ace 250
    4 times
    "LIBERTY" on a small date will look a bit weak as well. Here, yours looks normal.

us
    Jun 2012
    Knoxville,TN
    1 times
    I searched for your posts and did not see that one, Of'course I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other......LoL When and if you have the time would you give me directions....Thanks for your help too!!!!!!!!!
    Tough find got me anxious,LoL

Be careful whose toes you step on today,They may be connected to the A$$ you kiss tomorrow!

us
    May 2011
    Kentucky
    153 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The first thing I look for is the weak "LIBERTY".
    "Hello from deep within the copper mines of Western Kentucky."

"Keep your hands off of my stack."

us
    Jun 2012
    Whites MXT Pro
    Metal Detecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1970-S_Large-Small_Dates.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	647196

us
    Jun 2012
    Knoxville,TN
    1 times
    Howdy used to be neighbor.....I am from ky too......In Tn now but lived in Ky my whole life till 99!

us
    May 2011
    Kentucky
    153 times
    I lived in Tennessee for years myself. I lived in Clarksville. Are you a Wildcat fan?
    Last edited by usandthem; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    "Hello from deep within the copper mines of Western Kentucky."

"Keep your hands off of my stack."

us
    Jun 2012
    Knoxville,TN
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by usandthem View Post
    I lived in Tennessee for years myself. I lived in Clarksville. Are you a Wildcat fan?
    Yes,always have been though I don't know the first thing about sports,LoL So I don't know if I am considered an actual fan

us
    Mr. Schulz

Mar 2012
    DeWitt, Iowa
    Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
    309 times
    Coin Roll Hunting, Bottle hunting, and Metal Detecting
    I generally look at the 9 on 70 s's . If it makes a sharp curve inward I set it aside but if its pretty wide I put it in the copper pile n im crhing. Also the Liberty is usually a weaker strike, and the top of the 7 is higher than the top of the 0.
    2013 Finds- 12/3

Bottle Digging
    Blob tops: 0
    Hutches: 2
    Medicines: 23
    Local Bottles: 24
    Tokens: 2, (1) Local
    1948 S Roosie Dime
    8 Spoons
    Music box part
    Axe Head
    19th Century cutting scissors
    ~
    Metal Detecting:
    Foreign: 1
    Wheats: 28
    Silver Dimes: 1
    Token: 1
    Clad: $47.53

us
    Jun 2012
    Knoxville,TN
    1 times

Lightbulb Thanks for replying!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSchulz View Post
    I generally look at the 9 on 70 s's . If it makes a sharp curve inward I set it aside but if its pretty wide I put it in the copper pile n im crhing. Also the Liberty is usually a weaker strike, and the top of the 7 is higher than the top of the 0.

If I understand correctly now? If it has a crease in the bend of the "7" it's a LD....Right?? I tried all the tricks & still couldn't tell them apart but someone in a different forum told me if it has a crease its LD!
    I think itr worked for me? Watch me be wrong & that made it so easy for me,LoL He said a small date will never a crease?
    Thank you for your time to help!

us
    May 2012
    Kingsport, TN
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WillFindItYet

If I understand correctly now? If it has a crease in the bend of the "7" it's a LD....Right?? I tried all the tricks & still couldn't tell them apart but someone in a different forum told me if it has a crease its LD!
    I think itr worked for me? Watch me be wrong & that made it so easy for me,LoL He said a small date will never a crease?
    Thank you for your time to help!
    Look on my other post i have posted pictures. The 9 on the small date points more towards the 7

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    725 times
    Like I said earlier in the thread - Pay attention to the Nine. It is all about the Nine. Weaker Liberties and Creases in the Seven will be hard to discern especially on circulated examples. The Nine won't change.

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    630 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    I can't tell which one it is, but I am curious why all the small dates have weaker "Liberty"?
    1/100 of an American dollar is a cent. It is NOT a penny. The word penny is used by several other countries, such as Great Britain, to denote their smallest denomination. In order to be numismatically correct, you must use the term cent to describe the American coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Burke
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

us
    May 2012
    Kingsport, TN
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sagittarius98
    I can't tell which one it is, but I am curious why all the small dates have weaker "Liberty"?
    I am not really sure on this one. I am sure a more avid collector than I could give a better answer. I would assume it would be some kind of die error. I had the hardest time of finding one but when I did there is no doubt it is one. Several I see on eBay listed as small dates are not. If you will look at the ones that are graded and labeled small date you can really see it.

us
    Mar 2009
    Minelab
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    Like I said earlier in the thread - Pay attention to the Nine. It is all about the Nine. Weaker Liberties and Creases in the Seven will be hard to discern especially on circulated examples. The Nine won't change.
    VERY TRUE.

Jul 2012
    8 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Dosent look like the short ate
    This profile is abandoned. i have moved to a new profile.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors