OP
OP
P

Premiess

Jul 11, 2012
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has a silver marking does that mean it's not real? Or does it mean that it's a fake? Everyone on here is telling me to take it to a reputable coin buyer for grading.

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
Incredible coin. I think people may be skeptical just simply because you have posted two of the most collectible coins in US history.

Just amazing...

Anyhow... anyone else notice the silver marking at about 7 o'clock on the obverse of the coin? Makes me wonder if it could be a plated specimen?

Just seems to good to be true... if it IS the real deal.... wow..... :headbang:

I see It!!! Hope for your sake its real. I'm not getting my hopes up though. :laughing7:

I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any silver on this coin. according to my Red Book, and I'm going by the red book, I'm not saying I'm a coin grader. The Coin was made of only copper.

That would be awesome if this coin did end up being the real deal!!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
Anyone with a red book. Look at the pic displayed in the book for this coin...tell me where the bottom of the neck lines up compared to the 3 in the book. Then tell me where this 3 lines up. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone with a red book. Look at the pic displayed in the book for this coin...tell me where the bottom of the neck lines up compared to the 3 in the book. Then tell me where this 3 lines up. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Different coin, so does no good to compare. The one you're looking at, if the same as my 2012 Rebook, which I assume it is, is Sheldon 3 Obverse. The poster's coin is based on Sheldon 4.

OP
OP
P

Premiess

Jul 11, 2012
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the link to the grade chart. That's if it's real as far as the value. Were the original coins made of silver and copper plated? Or solid copper?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The original coins were solid copper. Also, it is a chain cent, so the first few 1793 coins on the price list.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the pictures of the edge I don't see the lettering that should be there which makes me think it is a copy.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little couple fun facts, these coins were first thought to have been back luck because of the 13 links of chain, and many thought the chain represented slavery, which the new budding nation of America was against. It was very common for stores to reject these coins, not wanting anything to do with them. Many of these coins had holes punched on them, and were hung around the neck, and thought to cure arthritis. They were also commonly nailed to barns when they were first constructed. Great find!

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get overly excited about this coin. it is an obvious reproduction. The way you can tell is that the edge of the coin is smooth and this variety of coin had a vine & bars edge design. More specifics on the "silver mark" is it stamped .925, sterling, does it have a pictorial mark and where is it located. Any silver marking would usually indicate a fake as well. also weigh it if you can it should weigh right around 13.48 grams maybe a little less because of the wear on it, but if its off by over a gram then chances are its fake. Get a hold of some calipers and measure the diameter, it should be 26-27 millimeters in diameter. The only way to really know is to send it off to a coin certification company like PCGS or NGC to know for sure but if the previous indications don't add up I would suspect it just being a really old copy.

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little couple fun facts, these coins were first thought to have been back luck because of the 13 links of chain, and many thought the chain represented slavery, which the new budding nation of America was against. It was very common for stores to reject these coins, not wanting anything to do with them. Many of these coins had holes punched on them, and were hung around the neck, and thought to cure arthritis. They were also commonly nailed to barns when they were first constructed. Great find!

I don't mean to correct you but the chain has 15 links not 13. You are correct about the other info but I would hate to have this guy more confused than he already is.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh sorry. Just thought I read that somewhere. Maybe another coin. Thanks for the correction

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The silver mark is not a number, but a small spot on the coin that looks like it could be pot metal that is under the coin.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
The official red book of coins says there was 36,103 of all Kinds of the "chain" coin and is worth in your present condition, AG-3, about $2,900. It may be in G-4 condition and if so it is worth about $7,200. You first need to get it authenticated though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread