Wrong metal/planchet?

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this coin a few months ago and posted about it in the Coin roll hunting section, but didn't get any responses. It's a 1999-P penn. statehood quarter. The thing that puzzled me about it is that there is no copper showing on the rim at all, and (I know I shouldn't admit this but) I even rubbed the edge of it against my pocket knife sharpening stone and still didn't see any copper. Could it just be plated? Or is this a wrong planchet/metal error? I have been trying to figure it out for a while but I can't seem to find anything out about it. My guess is that it's probably just silver plated, but I would like to see some other people's opinions.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 129
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 161
  • untitled3.JPG
    untitled3.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 168

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Weigh it. It could very well be plated or be one of the weird "sandwich" coins with no copper showing (those do pop up every now and then) but if the weight is off it could be a wrong planchet error, perhaps not even a coin intended for the US but post the weight in grams and see how it compares to a normal quarter.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Weigh it. It could very well be plated or be one of the weird "sandwich" coins with no copper showing (those do pop up every now and then) but if the weight is off it could be a wrong planchet error, perhaps not even a coin intended for the US but post the weight in grams and see how it compares to a normal quarter.

Good idea....now I just need a scale haha

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red89: It is a SILVER Quarter. The Phil. Mint made 800,000 of them. The Mint makes a SILVER version of all the state quarters. It is worth the same as a 1960 silver quarter. Good find! Save it!. Landlord Jim.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Red89: It is a SILVER Quarter. The Phil. Mint made 800,000 of them. The Mint makes a SILVER version of all the state quarters. It is worth the same as a 1960 silver quarter. Good find! Save it!. Landlord Jim.

They do, but it would have an "S" mintmark, not a "P" mintmark.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sagittarius: Most of the silver state quarters are from S mint. There are some early states that have silver quarters- I have three of them from the P mint. You have to weigh them. The silver ones are 6.25 grams. The clad ones are 5.67 grams. Landlord Jim

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
sagittarius: Most of the silver state quarters are from S mint. There are some early states that have silver quarters- I have three of them from the P mint. You have to weigh them. The silver ones are 6.25 grams. The clad ones are 5.67 grams. Landlord Jim

All proofs are minted in San Francisco after the 60s. You might have plated clad coins from the P mint. If not, you have really valuable mint errors.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, if you have a silver "P" mint state quarter you have a coin easily worth three to four figures.

You need to weigh your coins to tell if they are silver or not. It is relatively common to find quarters with no copper showing that are just copper-nickel.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will have to be authenticated by PCGS or NGC as a silver planceht before you can realize a three figure value. I would submit it to either service ASAP.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always do the sound check if you don't have a scale. I flip 'em in the air with a quick flick of the thumb to make 'em ring. Try that vs. a normal quarter. If it's just plated it should sound the same as a normal quarter.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread