Gnelson

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2012
Laquinta CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD 2200, Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Todays rate on the Peso is in american money is .75 cents per Peso so the math says $75.00 U S dOLLARS

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Ya gotta move that decimal point over a bit more.

At today's conversion rate, $7.57 US. This is assuming you have a current, non-collectable circulated coin.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I knew it wasn't worth much and that the $100 wasn real value. I don't have the coin right here in front of me but I think it is dated in the 70s or 89s. Monty

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I'm not real sure on mexican coins but a few years ago I was there and someone gave me some money they got there from the last time they were there. They didn't exchange it. I tried to pay for something with it and they told me that it wasn't good anymore because the Gov change the money. Not sure if it was a line or not so I tried the next day somewhere else and they said the same thing. So maybe it's worth nothing.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In Mexico this symbol: $ means peso, not dollar. Additionally, since 1988 Mexico has devalued its currency. What that means is that that 100 peso coin from 1988 now has a Mexican face value of 0.1 pesos, or 10 centavos. At the current exchange rate that makes it worth about 1 US cent.
Don.....
PS: Monty, if we can see a pic of the coin, it may have significantly higher collector value.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it's this coin-
mex1.jpg Then it's worth about a buck in unc. cond. as a collector piece.

If it's any other 100 peso coin then it contains silver and is worth more.

Last edited:

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Mackaydon -

It is my understanding that as 0f 1993, the MXN peso has significantly more value. Is that correct? So if the coin is post 1993, it's exchange rate is what I posted above. If 1992 or before, it is MUCH less (by a denominator of >1000.) AM I right on this?

Kevo

edit - If Monty is correct and his coin is from the 70's or 80's the MONETARY value is MUCH less than I stated, less than a cent. However, depending on the year, as stated above, it could contain silver.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the mexican govt "revalued" the peso because its value had dropped so much -- 1000 old value peso's equaled 1 NEW peso ( $ means peso not dollars) --its a mexican hold over from the spanish -- we used it as our "doillar sign" since our dollars value was "linked" with the spanish silver 8 reale at first.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevo,
If my memory still serves me (though less frequently it still does), in about 1992 Mexico reformed their currency: 1000 'old pesos' would now be worth 1(one) peso. People had three years in which 'use up' their old money; thereafter, they could go to the bank and redeeem 'old' money for the 'reformed' money. Therefore, a pre-1992 coin's stated value was reevaluated to 1/1000th of its minted vaule; a 100 peso would then be worth 0.1 pesos, or ten centavos today.
Did I clarify or further confuse?
Don...

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Your info matches mine, we're good.

Monty - if your coin is 1992 or older, it is essentially worhtless, UNLESS it has silver or collector's value. If post January 1st 1993, it is worth $7.57.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your info matches mine, we're good.

Monty - if your coin is 1992 or older, it is essentially worhtless, UNLESS it has silver or collector's value. If post January 1st 1993, it is worth $7.57.

Monty... yeah what kevo said or what I said or what mackydon said first, and lets not forget ivan either! :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's funny that you asked "how much real money is it"? As if the only money in the world that is real, is US currency...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread