1975 penny missing the 1, worth?

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
sheepdog_tx said:
Not seeing this in any guide. Its a 1975 lincoln penny without the 1 in the date. Its in almost uncirculated condition.

Sounds interesting! Do you happen to have any pics you could share?

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does everyone want pics? I just described it :)

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do we need a picture?

"A Picture says 1000 words"...

In the coin collecting world, the difference between a $1000 coin and a $1 coin can be as simple as a true coin error, or post mint damage. Not to mention condition.... Take, for example, the infamous 1877 Indian head penny. In good condition, it fetches about $700. Not bad, right? Well, put that coin in a Mint State (even lowest Mint state) and the coin is now worth in excess of $4,000!

So often, when people find a coin that is out of the ordinary, they think they may have hit the 'jackpot'. I know I used to do it myself! Sadly.... the untrained eye is all too easy to fool.

A picture posted could help the people more knowledgeable in coins determine several things:

1. Condition of coin (MS, AU, XF, et...)
2. Actual problem with coin (Post mint damage, Greased Die, etc...)
3. Coin 'genuineness'. This is not to say you are faking this coin, but there are fakes out there. Some harder to see than others.
4. "Coolness" factor. Although the serious collectors have seen a lot, they've not seen every coin, therefore, by posting your coin, you allow us to both learn by your coin, as well as give us a 'oh wow.. look at that' factor.

In the end.. if you REALLY want to know what your coin is worth, a picture will help answer that.

Otherwise... my price I would pay you for your coin: $0.01.

I hope this answers your question.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Sounds to me as a grease filled error. The die just becomes packed with grease and misses the strike. Rare but not a whole lot value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread