Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lastleg said:
Depends on whether the stain/mark can be professionaly removed.

And if it cant? Is it then graded low?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It actually depends if the stain is natural. If it is the result of say an ink pen, then it will affect the grade. If it is natural toning, then no.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
If the stain is Toning or Tarnish, leave it. It is considered part of the natural state of the coin and does not significantly effect the value unless it is REALLY ugly. If the stain is a substance that is ON the coin (ink, grime, oil, dirt, so on), you can often remove it by soaking the coin in soapy water. I would not rub, I would not do anything else. If the coin is circulated, you could use the tip of a rose thorn to try to work it off. The tip is soft enough that it will not scratch the metal, but could remove some of the grunge. Don't work it too hard.

When a coin is stuck, the metal expands into the design cut into the die. As that happens, small stress lines appear on the surface. These are the luster that new coins have. It is VERY light, very delicate. It can be removed by rubbing with talcum (it is that soft). Once that luster is gone, nothing can ever bring it back. Many coin dips use a light acid to remove the tarnish from a coin. It does this by removing the top layer of silver. It can take away the luster layer. If the coin is truly uncirculated, you can wash it, but I would not do anything else. Good luck.

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
other then a toning affect i would say it would be graded lower unless there was a problem when the coin was minted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread