BEWARE Fake "1922 No D" Lincoln Cent on Ebay! See Photo!

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me get you guy's expert opinion here..So I was browsing ebay for old coins and stumbled upon this 1922 no D Lincoln cent, looked up the value on cointrackers and for this particular coin it said "A no D and Weak D is known to have been minted, but if you are a buyer or an owner you may want to get it verified by a 3rd party. The no D coins are selling for up to $33,000 each. Id hate to waste that kind of money on a fake :)" Fishy right, so from there I went to the users recent feedback on ebay, he has the rating of 2, both of the raitings come from him as a buyer. I look to see what he has bid and won on and i see that he recently (in october) purchased 3 1922 D Lincoln Cents. I thought BINGO!! I then compared the penny that he is selling to the 3 that he purchased last month and I started noticing things, ITS THE SAME PENNY only he somehow extracted the D to flip it quick and most likely leave ebay (or stop using that name). Check out the photo for yourself..The bidding is up to $150 has a day left and I just dont want anyone to get ripped off big time. Lets do whatever we can as a community to shut this guy down! Let me know what you think of my comparison, thank you!

See the auction here

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't he slick right? I reported the listing, I figure everyone that sees this listing would help report it too. I'm not really sure how long it takes ebay but hopefully we can beat him to the punch!

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay is full of fake coins, i would only purchase graded coins from a trusted grading company like PCGS or NGC, your likely to pay more for them but at least you know your coin is not a fake, i got burned on two Carson City 1889 Morgan dollars about two months ago. i had to wait over a month to go through all the bull crap just to get my money back. if your just going to purchase common silver coins and other common dates you should be alright but keep an eye out for sure because there are alot of rip offs out there.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look Close You can see lines from the indentation from where the D was ground down
Untitledf.jpg Untitledf.jpg

reporting to ebay will get it removed, but unless they announce on his add & account he's a Counterfeiter (thief),
he may be able to sell it to one of the bidders by telling them he pulled it to sell it privately to them.

actually, Should have been reported to the US Secret Service

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Done. But of course, it doesn't stop the seller from popping up again as another seller. It is like modern day Whack-A-Mole. Good eye and thanks for sharing the fraudulent practice.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reported him to ebay....I think someone should notify the law on this one....friggin lowlife idiot.I sent the seller a question about his penny...ended the question "dont drop the soap" lol

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes your right Jeff great eye! Your right diver down, that's the sad truth. I always say if there is a rare coin un-certified selling for cheap, something must be fishy about it!!! I wish there was a way to message bidders to warn them but I understand that could be a bad thing lol..Who does this guy think he is, obviously he isn't too bright we all know that, I hope this scum gets his account banned! Thank you everyone for continuing to report him, great team work! Up to 270 for a coin worth nothing since its defaced (could have been worth 35-50 if not destroyed), Hopefully we will prevail!!!

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reported him to ebay....I think someone should notify the law on this one....friggin lowlife idiot.I sent the seller a question about his penny...ended the question "dont drop the soap" lol

haha brilliant, in his case i hope he does LOL!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The seller has published the "Don't drop the soap" question on his listing, yet others still continue to bid on the item. Some buyers need to be taught expensive lessons even after exposing the fraud.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I contacted the seller yesterday and told him that I believed his coin had been altered. He said he didn't know and that he had bought three of them at auction for $165. He's obviously not playing with a full deck.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seller has published the "Don't drop the soap" question on his listing, yet others still continue to bid on the item. Some buyers need to be taught expensive lessons even after exposing the fraud.

YES look everyone:

Q: Hi.Removing the D from a coin that you got here on ebay is pretty stupid.remember not to drop the soap.
A: i do not know what you taking , you may do this thinks and you know how , i am not sale coins for money jast for hoby ,i am sory person things like that.

What language is this guy speaking? The way he types is just down right silly. And your right anyone bidding on this item despite his low rating and his suspicious recent purchase of 3 1922 pennies kind of deserves to get whats coming to them.

I contacted the seller yesterday and told him that I believed his coin had been altered. He said he didn't know and that he had bought three of them at auction for $165. He's obviously not playing with a full deck.

I agree usandthem, hes a couple fries short of a happy meal!

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell this penny has been altered? Also the color doesn't seem right.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish there was some way to post the comparison photo posted here so that the people bidding and ebay's moderators could see it.He is definatly not to bright...if only for the fact that he posted my statement...maybe he wants to drop the soap. lol

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell this penny has been altered? Also the color doesn't seem right.

JobIII go into his previous purchases and you will find that he just recently bought 3 1922 D cents. In the photo there is 3 1922 D penny's, the one on the very left is the one he used to deface. Look at my comparison photo on post number 1 to see the similarities. As far as the color it does look off, I think it may have been cleaned or the camera he used gave it that steel cent look lol.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish there was some way to post the comparison photo posted here so that the people bidding and ebay's moderators could see it.He is definatly not to bright...if only for the fact that he posted my statement...maybe he wants to drop the soap. lol

Your exactly right, ebay seems very non-user-friendly when it comes to reporting, I think that is why this stuff still goes on all the time..Its because they take 4ever to respond or do anything about things you report, which hinders even trying to report the scum bags.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your exactly right, ebay seems very non-user-friendly when it comes to reporting, I think that is why this stuff still goes on all the time..Its because they take 4ever to respond or do anything about things you report, which hinders even trying to report the scum bags.
Yeah I reported him but there wasent anyway that I could find to explain why I was reporting him ?

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I reported him but there wasent anyway that I could find to explain why I was reporting him ?

Yeah its kind of a vague when it comes to reporting this type of thing on ebay..In the category section I chose "Prohibited and Restricted items" then go down to Currency Stamps and Coins..Then below that I chose "replica coins", although I think any one of those options under Currency Stamps and Coins should get their attention..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread