Newbie to MD, TreasureNet and treasure hunting...with gold coins

cajunmiss

Dec 2, 2006
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
NEW Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 1500 (board is out)
Um...funny how things happen. I joined the site just recently in anticipation of starting my new hobby. I haven't even got my metal detector yet. Today, I'm just surfin' the site and reading some of the posts. I came to the COIN thread and started reading. As I read on, I started reading about gold coins and remembered that tucked away I have "possibly" a couple gold coins. Keep in mind that I am not a collector at this point, I just have things that were given to me a few years back from my childrens Grandmother. Anyway--I pull the stuff out and start looking...OH MY GOODNESS. I have 2 gold coins.

1st question, what is the difference between "With motto" and "without motto" (saw this on ebay) I am assuming its "In God we trust"

2nd question, is "With Motto" or "Without Motto" a major deciding factor on value? Of course besides the obvious condition of the coins.

I have a 1880 $10 "With Motto" which appears to be in VERY GOOD CONDITION
and a 1907 $2.5 "With Motto" which is also in VERY GOOD CONDITION

I've looked at the values of such coins on ebay....um, interesting to say the least!

What do you guys think?

Oh...most importantly, they will never be sold. They are for my girls...but it's nice to know they are worth something. They are also placed in some sort of "Gold" pendant type rings, for a necklace. The pendant rings (the part that the chain goes through), have some wear...they were obviously worn for quite some time.

I may post pictures later...just wanted to share with you'll what I just discovered in my own home...hmmm...funny how things happen.

cajunmiss

T

TreasureTales

One good way to learn about coins (and you WILL be learning about coins when you start using your detector) is to buy a good coin book. Most folks have a copy of Whitman's "Red Book" (the cover is bright red) and use it as a guide. Remember, however, that the prices in that book are RETAIL, which means those are the prices the dealers might charge as opposed to what they might pay. There are also some websites that are dedicated to coins and coin collecting.

Welcome, and hope you have fun with your detector (when it arrives).

OP
OP
cajunmiss

cajunmiss

Dec 2, 2006
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
NEW Minelab CTX 3030
Here a some photos, this is my first time uploading, so I hope it works

Attachments

• $10 Gold.jpg
    $10 Gold.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 335
  • $10 Gold rear.jpg
    $10 Gold rear.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 346
OP
OP
cajunmiss

cajunmiss

Dec 2, 2006
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
NEW Minelab CTX 3030
more of the second coin

Attachments

• $2 and half Gold.jpg
    $2 and half Gold.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 311
  • $2 and half Gold rear.jpg
    $2 and half Gold rear.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 320

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coins Cajunmiss and very lucky daughter's.....Thank's for sharin'.....Welcome and Love the avatar!!!HH

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CM,

W :o W!! Both coins are absolutely stunning. I know nothing about old coins, the forum is a wealth of information, someone will cruise right in and help you with your questions.

Do you have any more history about these? A gift to your grandmother from the grandfather? Sure would be interesting to find out more about them. Beautiful, priceless heirloons for your daughters. Lucky girls!! :)

;) RR

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CajunMiss...Welcome to the forum and great post, very nice gold coins. I also like your avatar...my favorite way to hunt as well, altough once you really get into detecting you will be like me and have a big dilemna on your hands when hunting season hits,especially on nice days....hunt or detect? :):) Nice dilemna though and whichever you choose, you win...:) Your childrens grandmother? wouldn;t that make her your mother or mother in law??

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, glad you remembered as these coins are fabulous.
Welcome to the forum, it's a great place.

I love the bezels they are set in. Unfortunately, from a coin value standpoint, the fact that it appears that they were worn and suffered some dammage (scratches, nicks, dents), this knocks down the value of the coin. But this is the beauty of gold coins, they are 23/24kt gold almost pure, so they are valuable by weight based on the current value of gold.

Awesome finds anyways. I would be wearing one of these if it was me. BEAUTIFUL!!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
cajunmiss

cajunmiss

Dec 2, 2006
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
NEW Minelab CTX 3030
Thanks to all...well, they were given to me to save for my daughters. They're actually from my ex-husbands, grandfather's girlfriend/(wife) who passed away about 8 years ago. She gave them to him with the intent that he would give them where he saw fit. She was a very "unique" woman, who we absolutely adored. Her house was full of "stuff" when she passed. I read a post a couple days ago about a guy who was going through his girlfriends grandmothers home which was absolutely full of "stuff", it's a perfect description of "Grandma Alma's" home.

She saved aluminum foil, washed and reused...all ziploc bags, bread bags, newspaper bags, etc. She saved food until you couldn't recognize it...still eating it <ewe>. We found hundreds of half-used bars of soap ??? huh??? We found probably 1000 or more rings from the bottom part of the milk jug lid, you know the one that we usually throw away once the milk is opened. Anyway, this is how she was...I have absolutely NO idea what the history of the coins is. Unfortunately, my ex's grandfather has been recently been given 6 weeks to live. So I do not wish to burden him with questions about her. I'm no longer close to the family, so it's a rather strange situation. Funny thing is, I am the only one who even knows these exist. My ex doesn't even know I have them. I'm certain that if they knew they would want them. So there's no reason to make a fuss.

They gave me lots of coins but these stuck out as I was reading the thread today.

Thanks for all of your comments and thanks for the warm welcome. I have no intention of selling these. I just thought I would share the story.

I look forward to my future treasure hunts...to share with you all.

Have a wonderful Holiday season,
Cajunmiss

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness, what some beautiful coins! :o

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Very nice gold pieces. I'm not an expert at grading gold coins, but I would say both coins are at least Very Fine. Deduction would be made for hairlines, scratches, nicks and any damage from mounting in the bezels. Probably a net grade of Fine for each. The October issue of Coin Values Magazine lists an 1880-s ten dollar gold coin in Fine condition at $400.00. The 1907 Quarter Eagle ($2.50 gold piece) is listed at $210.00 in Fine condition. These are retail prices and they have been dropping some lately. Hope this gives you some idea of their worth.
Bob

OP
OP
cajunmiss

cajunmiss

Dec 2, 2006
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
NEW Minelab CTX 3030
Thanks for all of your input. The information here is tremendous. TN is a great beginning to what I hope to be great new hobby.

The coins have been put in a "safer" place.

Happy Holidays to all...

Cajunmiss

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I would agree with skierbob as being graded in the Fine to Very Fine. The Redbook value is listed as $325 in very fine for the 1880 and $165 for the 1907.

Linda Leech

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome the gold coins luck very nice happy hunting hope you find more of them

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey you two, notice the thread is 10 years old?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread