Any value to counterfeit coins?

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No value but if you're caught with them I believe it's a Federal crime. They are counterfeit. I would turn them and the fella that sold them to you in to the authorities.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, magnetic copies aren't worth anything. There are though some counterfeits made out of silver to either deceive collectors or act as a placeholder in an album. And contemporary counterfeits (counterfeits made from the 1800s) are collectable.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
let this lesson be learned -if one deals with "shady folks" -you get stolen stuff or fake coins and one winds up getting burnt -- if one deals with "shady folks" / thiefs ---they now know you collect valuible silver coins when you buy their stolen goods / fakes -- often they have a buddy that follows you back to your place after the deal and surprize guess who's house gets ripped off for "real silver coins" shortly afterwards ?

con mans motto -- you can't cheat a honest man * (since a honest man will not deal with "shady folks")--only some one trying to buy "hot goods" at a discount will deal with shady folks * -- the deal once made and found out to be "fakes"can not be undone -- you can not go to the cops and say this guy sold me "fake / stolen silver dollars " without opening yourself to a charge of trying to buy stolen goods * --if you find and attack the jerk the cops will arrest you --- you see how the "con" works now. -- you get sucked in by greed into a too good to be true deal. --there are some who travel to gas stations and be moan the fact that their "outta gas" and are wiulling to part with their valuible silver coin that (grandpa /grandma gave them to get some gas they will "sell" it for 20 or 30 bucks --the coins a fake they get the cash and drive off asap before the sucker catches on.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....If its too good to be true..... I mean hell..he could go to ANY pawn shop and get money for gold and silver scrap..All those damn Chinese making the counterfiets makes me leary of buying coins anywhere these days...they even have Counterfiet coins made of lower grade Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread