nickels are the only real "money" at this point in time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Are you doing due diligence with nickels? As many LRC readers know, nickels are the only real "money" being distributed by the U.S. Government at this point in time. The value of the metal in a nickel equals the fiat value assigned to it by the state. This cannot be said about the currently produced pennies, dimes, quarters, or half dollars and certainly cannot be said about the paper money or the even more insidious and plentiful computer digit money that we are forced to use. Nickels are uniformly marked, impractical to counterfeit, and easily recognizable for their metallic content (75% copper, 25% nickel).

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]So, is it really that easy to get real money in exchange for the worthless stuff floating around? Yes, it still is. You walk into a bank, hand the teller a 20-dollar bill, and walk out with 10 rolls of nickels. There is no dealer markup. There is no sales tax. There are no shipping fees. There is no capital gains tax or value added tax. It almost seems impossible in this day and age. It soon will be impossible. We are temporarily in an era with nickels that is analogous to the pre-1965 silver coinage period. Coin composition is slated to changeduring the 2013 fiscal year. So, what are the issues that would preclude a person from taking advantage of the inevitable increase in the value of nickels when compared to the fiat dollar? Well, there is one small issue and one slightly bigger issue. The small issue is obtaining the nickels and the bigger issue is storage. Both issues can be resolved fairly easily for most people. First, let’s look at the smaller issue.

[/FONT]Storing Nickels by David Hathaway
[/FONT]

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Got to love that LewRockwell site:icon_thumright: Although I see the same problems doing this just like the saving of copper pennies. Most people who save them don't do it for barter reasons they save them in hope the government allows them to be scrapped for full profit. Then you have people who say "well you still have so so amount in money, that maybe the case but the purchasing power of that money is guaranteed to be worth a lot less a decade from now. Am I missing something here? I will admit I started saving copper pennies before but then the more I thought about it it really wasn't worth it. I ended up finding a buyer so I still pull them and make a small return which I invest in bigger and better things.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nice guy. Despite having two strapping sons, he has photos of his daughters wielding the pick-axe digging the trench. He doesn't mention the cost of buying the supplies (pipe, welding cement, cost of pick-axe or rental of trenching tool as suggested in the article) or the cost of stopping at multiple banks to procure his 20 spot of nickels (wear/tear on the vehicle, gas, etc.) By the time he is done, he has invested way more in hoarding his nickels than he'll be able to fence on the secondary market for the metal content.

Here's an idea - Quit being a wimp with the 20 spot of nickels. Just get a brick like every other CRH'er does. Stack the bricks in their original boxes and you are good to go. A thief breaking into your home is looking for lighter and more profitable items instead of eyeballing the wall of nickels in your garage.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HaHa Yea But I love that Pic.
the one on the Right looks like she's straining to hold the Pic straight out :laughing7:

hathaway2-b.jpg

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're burying your nickels in PVC pipe, won't they turn into lovely green slime within a few years like storing them in PVC flips?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread