27.6 KB · Views: 155

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks just fine the way it is, did you find it in CA.?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are keeping it for display go ahead and clean it up! Make YOU happy - not us! :occasion14:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A bit of a judgment call I tend to like the old looking patina on coins....because after all they are old.....I didn't check catalog for grade/value....so don't know if that's a key date or not....if some numismatic value better to leave as is...just my 2 cents.

Regards + HH

Bill

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't clean it. It looks good the way it is. It's your coin, so it's your decision, but if I were you, I would just put it in a 2x2 and let it be.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no way!!!! it looks perfect right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I would clean it, dip it, and buff it to a very shiny and prestige looking coin. Throw it on feebay and say hey looks BU to me but I'm not a coin expert. Lol and join everyone else that's doing it

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
dustywallen said:
I would clean it, dip it, and buff it to a very shiny and prestige looking coin. Throw it on feebay and say hey looks BU to me but I'm not a coin expert. Lol and join everyone else that's doing it

Bout forgot photoshop, cropping, lighting, and auto enhance but the biggest thing is estate find!

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill. I forgot that these coins look different because they are so old. The dirt and spots are reminders that we got these from the ground and give us memories of the hunt. This particular coin was found with 6 months of research, 4 hours of driving to the site, and 3 hours of detecting in near freezing temperatures... God I love detecting!

A bit of a judgment call I tend to like the old looking patina on coins....because after all they are old.....I didn't check catalog for grade/value....so don't know if that's a key date or not....if some numismatic value better to leave as is...just my 2 cents.

Regards + HH

Bill

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, but I think it looks fine the way it is. Nice Half Dime.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May only worth $30 right now but u don't want to clean it then watch the collector value grow. You can clean anytime but won't ever be able to get the original look back. That said, do whatever you want for your collection.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't...It's only in "original" condition once...once it's clean...it will never go back to the way you found it.

Nice find....4 hours to drive to the site and hunt in 32 degree weather...awesome man.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTL,
That is a wonderful find and thank you for sharing it with us as well as asking your question. If it were me I would leave it as is and especially no rubbing or brushing the dirt off as this will scratch the coin. Coin dealers/collectors look at these coins via magnification and any scratches detract from the coins value. You've an awesome piece of history there, congratulations of the find, the research, the hunt and not freezing to death.............63bkpkr

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
GTL,
That is a wonderful find and thank you for sharing it with us as well as asking your question. If it were me I would leave it as is and especially no rubbing or brushing the dirt off as this will scratch the coin. Coin dealers/collectors look at these coins via magnification and any scratches detract from the coins value. You've an awesome piece of history there, congratulations of the find, the research, the hunt and not freezing to death.............63bkpkr

While what you posted is true, you have to consider that this particular coin is a common date. It is also a lower grade. Any subsequent cleaning will not have any dramatic effect on it's value.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it. I never clean any of my silver coins I just rinse the dirt off

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all commenting and sharing all of your views. I have decided to leave the coin as is for now. Mother nature gave it some character and I respect her work :)

Happy hunting to you all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread