Should the U.S. kill the penny?

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
I'm against doing away with it! The round UP will only hurt/affect the lowly consumer. How bout this novel idea---press the government to improve the economy, reduce inflation and national dept, - to the point the penny has the same value it did in the 70's and 80's or even better return to the gold standard and put silver back into all coins...
Nah, we'll just kick the can down the road till they decide to do away with the $5.00 bill since it's useless as the penny now- and a gallon of milk cost an even $30.00 anyway.
PEACE

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
1more4me said:
I'm against doing away with it! The round UP will only hurt/affect the lowly consumer. How bout this novel idea---press the government to improve the economy, reduce inflation and national dept, - to the point the penny has the same value it did in the 70's and 80's or even better return to the gold standard and put silver back into all coins...
Nah, we'll just kick the can down the road till they decide to do away with the $5.00 bill since it's useless as the penny now- and a gallon of milk cost an even $30.00 anyway.
PEACE

Agree. A common sense approach to the national economic malaise would be to work toward national debt reduction, reduce inflation etc.. Pipe dream of course since the politicos in power have no inclination for budgetary restraint. Some blather on and on that "we need to this, and we need to do that", but the "we" never seems to include anyone on the public payroll.

Years ago it was easier to kick the can down the road and not fear too much over the consequences. However now the distance the can is kicked is very short. Months at best. New tactic is to ignore the inevitable or rename upcoming consequences to something benign sounding.

A nagging fear that I have is that there are many really gullible people out there voting for politicos who promise the impossible. The majority will always vote for the best sounding promise. "Everyone can share the wealth ... ". Sound familiar? Working just great in Greece, Spain, France, etc..

M

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread