jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Canada is dropping the use of its penny today. And some economists believe the United States should be following its neighbor's example.[/h]
The U.S. Mint spent 2 cents to produce and ship each of the 5.8 billion pennies sent to banks last year. But in addition to being a money loser for the Treasury, there are arguments that the penny has simply outlived its usefulness.

Greg Mankiw, Chairman of the President's Council of Economic Advisers under President Bush, said American consumers have shown they don't value the penny, even if most polls show opposition to getting rid of the coin.
"When people start leaving a monetary unit at the cash register for the next customer, the unit is too small to be useful," he said.

I Don't leave them at the register for the next customer :icon_scratch:

Should the U.S. kill the penny? - Feb. 4, 2013

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
should have been done 30 years ago. and also make gas an even number 3:15 not 3:14 9/10. look at the money that would be saved if all the pumps didn't have to have that extra dial

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i still use pennies to pay for gas

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
dimedigger said:
should have been done 30 years ago. and also make gas an even number 3:15 not 3:14 9/10. look at the money that would be saved if all the pumps didn't have to have that extra dial

For sure! What's up with that 9/10ths gag anyway? Another peeve I have is the universal practice of pricing stuff at $3.99 instead of $4 ? A long time ago I read a story that claimed the old store owners wanted to hear the cash register clang so they priced stuff to prevent the clerks from just pocketing the $4 without going to the register to open it for change. So goes the story anyway. A crafty crooked clerk could simply have a pocket full of change to do the transaction anyway.

I think the real reasoning for the 99 cent thing is that somehow it looks a whole lot less than pricing at $1. I'm not fooled, and neither are you, but maybe the rest of the population is brain dead.

M

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the real reasoning for the 99 cent thing is that somehow it looks a whole lot less than pricing at $1. I'm not fooled, and neither are you, but maybe the rest of the population is brain dead.

M

yes this is the reason, Like gas priced at $3.899
people will think they paid $3.89 for gas
when in fact they paid $3.90

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the US should get rid of the penny but they won't because it makes sense to us but not to the politicians.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
what about local taxes? if it is 7cents, would it be rounded up to a dime? You know they wouldn't go down to a nickle

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i would go down a nickle if the goverment would stay out of my business

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about local taxes? if it is 7cents, would it be rounded up to a dime? You know they wouldn't go down to a nickle

everything tax related would be set up to add up to .08, .09 or .10

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if pennies are killed, everyone send theirs to me ok?

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion alt of things would need to change if this was done.. But if it helps cut government costs and can be done I say go ahead and do it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The treasury should have killed the 1 cent coin 50 years ago. It's almost worthless in today's economy. 100 years ago, a penny actually had some buying power. I can't think anything you can buy for less than 10 cents. We used to have coins worth up to $20, which was equal to an entire week's wages for most workers. Can you imagine a $250 coin? And yet we still have these 1 cent coins which most people won't even pick up off the ground if they see it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i saw on tv (so it has to be true) that it costs more than 1 cent to make a penny

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It costs something like 1.88 cents to mint a penny, and that is with the crappy copper coated zinc.

Edit - I just looked this up.

For the fiscal year ending September 30, 2012, the unit cost for the Mint to produce and distribute the cent was 2.00 cents and the unit cost for the nickel was 10.09 cents. This compares to costs from the prior fiscal year of 2.41 cents and 11.18 cents, respectively.

Last edited:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That 1/10 of a cent adds up. Gas companies and stores make some good extra money. When was the last time you recieved your 1/10 cent in change after buying a gallon of gas.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
WELL I GUESS IF CANADA CAN MAKE IT WORK WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO....... CANADA WAS SMART AND GOT RID OF THE DOLLAR BILL MADE IT WORK......... WE TRIED TO PUT OUT A DOLLAR COIN BUT THERE ARE SO MANY HORDERS & COLLECTORS OUT THERE THEY NEVER HIT THE STREET.............. I GOT A ROLL OR 2 EVERY PAY DAY AND SPENT THEM NEVER GOT ONE BACK IN CHANGE TO MANY PEOPLE COLLECT ANYTHING .... IF THEY MADE THEM OUT OF DOG CRAP THE COLLECTORS WOULD BE HORDING THEM AWAY...........

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, lets give the penny the boot. I'm on my second gallon jug full of the zinc's, and I just started detecting 10 months ago. They are trash and look ugly and are giving the old copper pennies a bad name. I don't care about the government saving money, they will just spend that saved money on some free money giveaway program anyway.
HH

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i still use pennies to pay for gas

I still pick them up when I see them laying around,
if a teller asks do I want the Penny, My answer is a serious YES !
I don't care if it's wedged in something, laying in mud, grease or worse,
If I can get at it, it's mine.

Heck, I've dug 5" easy for rotted zinclons, & they always come home with me :laughing7:

100 of them make a dollar.
in bad times 389 of them will get me a gallon of gas & 15 miles down the road
in my Jimmy :icon_thumright:

jeff-gordon

user-offline.png
if pennies are killed, everyone send theirs to me ok?

You can start sending them to me now if you don't want them :coffee2:

Last edited:

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
When you own your company those pennies add up.Think about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread