sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not slab it, since the corrosion would make it come in a genuine slab only. It is Norwegian and not Finnish. It and the Swiss Franc are silver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Norwegian right, sorry. Any idea if I should sell this or keep it. I got it for free and didn't think much of it till I researched it a bit. I have see someone say that this coin is a top 10 coin to have in there collection, but that is matter of opinion.

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, keep in mind that for most foreign coin markets, slabbing doesn't add any value, especially things slabbed by American TPGers which often get things (hilariously) wrong (I've seen NGC/PCGS put the wrong denomination on the label, get some variety entirely wrong and even slab some coins that are questionable if they are even genuine). Most people just break them out of their slab to stick in their coin cabinet.

About the only time that I think TPGing helps for foreign coins is if you are selling them through a major auction house such as Heritage or Stacks-Bowers which normally slab the majority of their high-valued coins.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess my question is on the grading site, VF20 is the lowest grading available. Does this automatically grade my coin at least VF20 due to mintage and availability of this coin.

1875-1903 NORWAY 10 Ore KM# 350 value | NORWAY Coins Price Guide

BTW thanks for commits and help, im real excited about this find. It was pulled from a ash tray full of odds and ends.

Sorry for the double post, but to answer this question, no.

All it simply means is that NGC doesn't have enough pricing information to tell you what a coin grading less than a VF-20 is worth. That coin can still grade anywhere from a MS-70 to a P-1 (although I agree with the general consensus that your coin is ~VF-20 but with corrosion so that will lessen its value).

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Lad, been trying to get this type of info from ncg dealers thru emails but they just hee hawed around like my coin wasn't worth nothing(maybe they wanted to buy it for cheap). I like everyone's commit of the coin grade of a maybe VF20. With this type of info I think 100 bucks would be a fair value to this coin. You guys are swell.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been thinking of selling this coin, but only to use the funds to buy American silver coins. Possibly 3 to 4 oz worth. I know nobody knows future markets, but since I'm a silver hoarder and this coin has hardly any silver, do you think I be better off? Face value vs silver values

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update, Friday I sold the 10 ore at a wopping 200 bucks. I'm happy to say it is returning home back to Norway. I ended up buying some MS69 silver eagles for my kids in there birth year and added some more Morgan's to the collection also.

hannahgodfrey

Apr 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read this somewhere – you don’t buy a coin, you sell it. Now I know what that means. “$200 return on a free investment” that’s sooo dreamy….. You got an awesome deal Swantek :) So what’s next?? Do you have some more coins…. If so post them here, would love to see them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread