shield nickel worth slabbing?

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been sitting on a shield nickel I got with a small collection I bought at face value (yea I spent 5 cents for this). It is an 1872 and Im afraid i dont have a good camera, and my iphone camera died, but this is pretty darn close to its condition. Id say that image is 90% accurate to its condition. Slab it?
2470506.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a collection from my co-workers dad who moved into a retiree home. They wanted face value for everything, and 10 bucks a piece for silver dollars...I told them its worth money, you know?...they said, yea whatever.... I spent about 180? bucks and got a dozen mixed peace and morgan, couple Ikes(meh), a roll of mercury & roosie dimes, a roll of washington silver quarters, a booker t half, that shield nickel, a flying eagle cent, some indian head cents, 2 standing liberty quarters, handful of war nickels and buffalos, a thing of uncirculated steel war pennies (each mint) and a roll of 40% halves. Also contained many rolls of susan b anthony, and liberty 1976 quarters that he had hoarded, but I passed on those.

and 22 bucks of 1928/1953/1963 2 dollar bills.

I think I came out alright!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with evaluating whether something is worth slabbing without a picture is without a picture we can't see any of the minor flaws that would cause it to come back with either no grade or details grade. Small things such as hints of cleaning or even just scratches or weird toning can cause the coin to come back with no/details grade.

OP
OP
R

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I will do what I can to get a photo of it and let yall give input if/before I send it away

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it looks like the image then yes, but it's hard to say without a clear and detailed image of the exact coin.

OP
OP
R

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the best I can do with my iphone, sorry I dont have a nice camera. its not as close as I remember to that image (ha) but all I could find on google were either mint state, or in worn condition.

it is also similar to the above picture in that the S in CENTS is broken off at the bottom and the 5 side seems to be slightly off centered in the planchet stamp, the top of the rim has some bare smooth surface to it, exactly like the far above. I found that image up top when I typed in 1872 shield nickel error. Im not so sure its an error, but more a sign of the times, being the 1870s and all.... but maybe yall know something I dont?

thanks

OP
OP
R

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do yall think

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread