Who likes Ike??

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I joined this forum because i recently got a metal detector and was curious about some of my finds but also saw this forum has a coins section as well. Im curious if there are any Ike dollar collectors here on Treasure Net? Ikes are often unfairly categorized as being common but what most collectors fail to realize is that GEM (MS65 or better) graded ikes are what is called a conditional rarity. A quick check of the Pop reports at NGC or PCGS will give you an idea of how rare these coins really are, anyhow i just wanted to show some of my collection enjoy:headbang:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Most are graded by PCGS some are finest known....

Last edited:

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get banks to order IKEs for you. I have asked and they are willing to help but when they get back to me they tell me that they can only order dollar coins with no specification as too what they are.

OP
OP
coinguy*matthew

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get banks to order IKEs for you. I have asked and they are willing to help but when they get back to me they tell me that they can only order dollar coins with no specification as too what they are.

Its because they are too big and too heavy for them to ship out anymore, which is also why some banks will not order kennedy halves. Ikes come in $1000 dollar bags weighing in at 50 pounds and will not likely have any gems.

chadsdad01

Mar 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its because they are too big and too heavy for them to ship out anymore, which is also why some banks will not order kennedy halves. Ikes come in $1000 dollar bags weighing in at 50 pounds and will not likely have any gems.

I got 3 - 1000 coin bags last months and found 21 silvers. There were 5 silver eagles, 5 morgans including a 1903s, 1 peace, 2 commems, and a few blue ikes. The bank must call the supplier to order them. Try different banks because they will have different suppliers. Try different geographical areas if you can, ie, if you are taking a trip somewhere or where a relative lives. My source here only had 3 bags, but I just got 5 more where my mother lives.

OP
OP
coinguy*matthew

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 3 - 1000 coin bags last months and found 21 silvers. There were 5 silver eagles, 5 morgans including a 1903s, 1 peace, 2 commems, and a few blue ikes. The bank must call the supplier to order them. Try different banks because they will have different suppliers. Try different geographical areas if you can, ie, if you are taking a trip somewhere or where a relative lives. My source here only had 3 bags, but I just got 5 more where my mother lives.

Nice haul...

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like Ikes, but I do like yours! I knew they were tough in high grades. Are any of yours homemade or did you buy them? Nothing cooler than sending in a raw gem you cherry picked. I'm assuming you have a PCGS Registry set? Great program they started - I'm working on a Morgan set myself.

OP
OP
coinguy*matthew

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like Ikes, but I do like yours! I knew they were tough in high grades. Are any of yours homemade or did you buy them? Nothing cooler than sending in a raw gem you cherry picked. I'm assuming you have a PCGS Registry set? Great program they started - I'm working on a Morgan set myself.

Yes i do have a registry set but have lost interest and has been long overdue for an update. None of mine are homemade all the toning on my coins have been deemed by PCGS as market acceptable. Not only have they been under the PCGS coin sniffer but i have personally pulled them from their original packaging i have photos for proof. Its one thing to buy an already slabbed toned coin but an entirely different to pull it from the environment from which it toned that to me is definitive proof.

$(KGrHqNHJBUE-cElU6TrBPnE4O,U,w~~60_58.JPG $(KGrHqR,!ogE9c080IQ9BPnGLroDf!~~60_58.JPG 219286d1354320618t-dscf2551.jpg

chadsdad01

Mar 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 5000 more yesterday . I'll post pictures if I find anything good.

OP
OP
coinguy*matthew

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 5000 more yesterday . I'll post pictures if I find anything good.

Please do as i intended this thread to be like a show and tell if you will. When moff347 said he was looking for bags of Ikes I thought he was referring to unopened mint sealed bags which i would love to come across, they still exist. I was in a N.H. coin shop and the dealer who i have a good relationship with and knows i love Ikes let me look through a bag he had acquired and said i could keep any Ike i liked for $3. I only found one Ike out of the whole bag which i liked a 76-P Partial collar strike with 40% rail road rim a rare error. I couldn't believe my eyes when i said hey ill take this one and he nodded his head with a sure take it, he didnt even look at it score for me.....

1000_8fbb7ea3a5faf2bc146aa1b0be8d25bb67514bde948846b.jpg

Doc-USN(Ret)

Feb 24, 2013
Lexington, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like Ikes. Got one in my pocket right now. If I don't spent it, I will never be broke!

Doc

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Ikes, I was at a coin auction 10 years ago or so when prices were down, and bought a complete set BU, in a folder for just over face value. They couldn't get any bids, when I bought them I heard a couple snickers, but I was happy. It is a big beautiful coin, and I felt like I stole them.

OP
OP
coinguy*matthew

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Ikes, I was at a coin auction 10 years ago or so when prices were down, and bought a complete set BU, in a folder for just over face value. They couldn't get any bids, when I bought them I heard a couple snickers, but I was happy. It is a big beautiful coin, and I felt like I stole them.

I love album toned Ikes........

My 73-P

attachment.php

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread