mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a small silver today but there is not much to help me figure out its origin. As you can see the coin is smaller than a dime and there are some characters with a perhaps a shield on one side. I might even have the first image upside down! Then it seems there is a king with a sword, axe or septre on the other side. Does anybody know what this coin may be and a possible date? Thanks.

Attachments

• Obverse 1.gif
    Obverse 1.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
  • Reverse 1.gif
    Reverse 1.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 146

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like it could be one of the coins of the Archbishops of Cologne, if you found it in Germany, that would put it in about the right area.

Record ID: SUR-269403 - MEDIEVAL coin - Database

Can't seem to find an exact match for your obverse, but I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Also found this: http://www.numismatas.com/Forum/Pdf/David Ruckser/Coins of Cologne.pdf currently trying to find one that looks like your coin

Edit II: Looks to me like the best match might be
Konrad I. von Hochstaden which would put your coin in the 1238-1261 AD range, page 50 in the reference I linked to

Most are selling for about 100-200 Euros or so, although undoubtedly there are minor varieties that affect the auction prices

Last edited:
OP
OP
mindcrime1988

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help Generic Lad! I read/looked over page 50 for a match but to be honest, I do not see which coin you are referring to. I know my coin is in rough shape but from the designs I see on page 50, none of them seem to be a match. I will keep looking over the coins from Cologne and see if I can get a better match. I did not realize there were so many coins made back in the day! Unbelievable. Once again I appreciate your help :icon_thumleft: It might just give me a good starting point.

OP
OP
mindcrime1988

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After posting this coin on several forums, somebody finally recognized this tiny silver for me. I'm still confused on the denomination, either pfennig or denar, but it is an oldie for sure! It was hammered in the years 1242-1259 after Arnold II of Isenburg. He was an archbishop of Trier, Germany.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
After posting this coin on several forums, somebody finally recognized this tiny silver for me. I'm still confused on the denomination, either pfennig or denar, but it is an oldie for sure! It was hammered in the years 1242-1259 after Arnold II of Isenburg. He was an archbishop of Trier, Germany.

Thanks for looking!

It would be a pfennig not a denar!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions