Canadian cent find and ??

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by a local convenient store this morning and while paying for my coffee, I noticed a wheat cent in the take apenny/ leave a penny tray. I picked it up and the clerk looked at it and said "I must have missed that one. I always check the tray for wheats" I told her I didn't have a penny to replace it, so she could keep it. She thanked me and asked if I was interested in any canadian cents. She said the store isn't suppose to accept canadian change, but there is always some that makes its way into the till. They pull it out and when there is a canadian customer they just give it to them. Except for the cents. Nobody will take the canadian cents. So she gave me 35¢ worth of canadian pennies and said she will save them for me from now on. My question is what years of canadian cents are copper and what are collectible dates? Any help would be great. Thanks, Skeeter

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How do you define " collectible dates"?
With the exception of certain proof coins, the early cent coins were composed of bronze-from 1858 through 1996. In 1997 and beyond, cents were composed of copper-plated steel or copper plated zinc.
Don....

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you define " collectible dates"?
With the exception of certain proof coins, the early cent coins were composed of bronze-from 1858 through 1996. In 1997 and beyond, cents were composed of copper-plated steel or copper plated zinc.
Don....

Sorry for not being a little more clear. I don't know anything about canadian coinage and was wondering what dates to look for that have more numismatic value than melt value. Thanks for the help, Skeeter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread