cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Morgan dollar is one of the prettiest coins ever. If you seen a true DCPL MS65 graded one, you'll know what I mean.

OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not numismatic speaking- grades and all- which would you rather have for collecting/investing

just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what happened to the other thread about the exact same thing?

Morgan all the way!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grading IS the key when it comes to collecting/investing. If you're just getting them for their silver content, it doesn't matter which you get, although I would prefer 1/2 dollars because they're easier to count and have more actual silver value than other denominations with the same amount of wear. With dollars, you have to pay a slight premium that's more than the actual silver content. If the coins are uncirculated, the dimes are the best for silver value but then numismatic values will come into play.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
To answer the OP's direct question, as a sliver investment, I prefer ASEs (US Govt. issued, one full ounce). As a Collector, I prefer Morgans (historic and collector value).

Given all options, I prefer half dollars, both to stack and to collect. I can never have too many Walkers, which interestingly enough, have a design similar to the ASE.

TCK

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as silver prices stay up, I agree to a point. They do have more silver content and are a known quality and quantity but, if silver prices crash, they are only worth silver value. 90% U.S. silver coins will still be worth at least face value regardless of what silver prices do. ASE's are not legal tender. Nobody has to accept them for any kind of payment.

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to choose, I would go with ASE's. But I prefer a variety. ASE's, dollars, halves, quarters and dimes. For 90% coins, I try to get all 64's with no wear to keep the actual silver content up. With silver dollars, I really like the Peace Dollars, but I have a couple Morgans thrown in too.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as silver prices stay up, I agree to a point. They do have more silver content and are a known quality and quantity but, if silver prices crash, they are only worth silver value. 90% U.S. silver coins will still be worth at least face value regardless of what silver prices do. ASE's are not legal tender. Nobody has to accept them for any kind of payment.

Actually they are legal tender. You can use them in place of one dollar.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I prefer Morgans. Even if silver crashed, they would still have significant numismatic value, unlike bullion. As far as bullion is concerned, I would chose Britannias, since they are very low mintage.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What numismatic value would a VG '21 Morgan have? Zip, Zero, Nada......many other dates are in the same boat.

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian Silver Maple...if silver gets below 6, you have 4.70 in forex per US dollar

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it would still be worth a dollar, assuming that means anything at that point. Bullion wouldn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread