My first hunt ever today

OP
OP
beebe5

beebe5

Greenie
Jul 8, 2013
image-2518111461.jpg

Also what's the best way to clean couns without ruining them?

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet ..you'll be hooked. Be careful trying to clean, you'll ruin them. I speak from experience. GL and HH

OP
OP
beebe5

beebe5

Greenie
Jul 8, 2013
Thank you! I already am I want to go at night haha. I don't have a pinpointer or any other tools yet so I'm just finding my way with my shovel and hands. Is there any safe way to clean them?

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is...I think. LOL But i don't know it yet. I am fairly new myself, just started in February

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a1900 IH penny in good shape, and proceeded to ruin it. I was sick.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.. You are infected with the sickness to compusivley dig holes now LOL.. Welcome

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a difference between how you should clean MD finds.

There are collector coins (silver coins, wheat pennies, Indian heads, large cents, buffalo and V nickels, colonial coins, etc.) and then there is just normal pocket change stuff (1965-date dimes and quarters, non-key Jefferson nickels, etc.) the collector coins you should clean very carefully like VPNavy said, but for the modern stuff I just stick it in a rock tumbler, this gets the grime and dirt mostly off of it so they are spendable and you can spend them like normal coins or stick them in rolls and send to the bank (I wouldn't put dug coins in a coin counter since it might damage the counter, even after you've tumbled them)

OP
OP
beebe5

beebe5

Greenie
Jul 8, 2013
Thanks for all the great information! I hit the veach again today for 30 min or so, dug up lots of metal trash, foil, pull tabs, and a dime haha..every penny counts! I'm also doing this without a sifter or a pin pointer. Very tricky for me with lots of"phantom" signals that I lose easily

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a difference between how you should clean MD finds.

There are collector coins (silver coins, wheat pennies, Indian heads, large cents, buffalo and V nickels, colonial coins, etc.) and then there is just normal pocket change stuff (1965-date dimes and quarters, non-key Jefferson nickels, etc.) the collector coins you should clean very carefully like VPNavy said, but for the modern stuff I just stick it in a rock tumbler, this gets the grime and dirt mostly off of it so they are spendable and you can spend them like normal coins or stick them in rolls and send to the bank (I wouldn't put dug coins in a coin counter since it might damage the counter, even after you've tumbled them)

My coin counter accepts dug cents well.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 2200 has ground balance, right?

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's when you can sync your metal detector to block out mineralization in the ground, allowing it to run smoother and go deeper in bad ground conditions. Most beginner detectors have a pre-set ground balance, but I know that many machines made by Bounty Hunter have adjustable ground balance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread