Chinese coin..maybe?

Dogtirednj

Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this coin over the weekend digging at a site that's had a lot of activity over the last 200+ years. So how do I find out if its real or just some knockoff from a gift shop? Any thoughts or suggestions?

image-1072891377.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, the coins are the same but the attribution is different. I believe both are the same as I described, but that differs from what the video states as the attribution.
chis1463.jpg
chching7.jpg

The coin on the left is Shan Lung (claimed in the video). The coin on the right is Ch'ien Lung. I believe the coin in the video is clearly Ch'ien Lung, not Shan Lung. The key difference is in the very base of the coin. Note what appears to be two "Ws" at that location on the left coin, but only a straight line on the coin on the right side.
Don.........

Last edited:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the coins are the same but the attribution is different. I believe both are the same as I described, but that differs from what the video states as the attribution.
chis1463.jpg
chching7.jpg

The coin on the left is Shan Lung (claimed in the video). The coin on the right is Ch'ien Lung. I believe the coin in the video is clearly Ch'ien Lung, not Shan Lung. The key difference is in the very base of the coin. Note what appears to be two "Ws" at that location on the left coin, but only a straight line on the coin on the right side.
Don.........

Excellent summation, I stand corrected.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
So how do I find out if its real or just some knockoff from a gift shop?

Generally, if the coin is corroded it is likely to be real. Due to the general low-value of the coins, there is no real reason to counterfeit these coins for monetary gain. Souvenirs would be made clean for tourists and have bumpy surfaces usually. They may also be magnetic, but some earlier cash were iron, but I don't think any were in the Qing Dynasty.

OP
OP
D

Dogtirednj

Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Love this site! Always amazed at the knowledge base here. I'll have to measure it when I can find something that will read mm instead of inches. As to the value, I don't care. I'm more stoked about the age and history of it! Thanks so much all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread