Identify this ancient coin? (denarius maybe?)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a cast replica.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rough surface. Looks either cast or corroded but the letters/numbers/symbols are still sharp. They're usually the first to show the effects of corrosion. There seems to be no wear to speak of. I guess it boils down to.....it just looks too good to be a corroded coin. You would expect some areas to be much worse than others if it's been in the ground for centuries. Very even corrosion is not common. Have you done a test to see what metal it is?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't say if it's authentic or not, but the image appears similar to this one: (Aurelian, AE antoninianus)
RIC_0192.jpg

Don........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If that is your coin, here is a more complete description. Roman Empire , Aurelian Empire 270 - 275 AD . AE Antoninianus c.22mm , c. 4.0 grams . Obv . IMP AVRELIANVS AVG . Radiate, draped bust right. Rev . CONCORD LEGI . Concordia standing left, holding two legionary standards.
Don...

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, a friend of mine knows I'm into coins, and said he had an old coin that he believed to be a denarius. Long story short, he loaned it to me to try and figure out what it is. It's pretty worn, but I got a few pictures.

Front

Reverse

The coin is indeed a Aurelian Antoninianus, the reverse is Concordia standing left, holding two standards. Looks like the real thing, but hard to be 100% sure from a picture.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread